Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Frame Help & Questions

Hi everyone,

I'm still doing my research on building my first T and a member on another board sent me a messege about a T frame he has for sale. He said it's a "Perimeter Frame" that was welded up. I'm waiting for pictures and more info.

This is what the messege said -

"I have a perimeter frame here at the shop that was made for a T-Bucket out of square tubing. It is stout. The front and rear cross member and spring perches are in, but no engine or trans mounts. The radius rod and split wishbone mounts are in as well.

I bought it with a pile of other parts and have no use for it. I would take 200 dollars for it. I would like to see it go to a good home."

My questions are -

Who makes or could have made this frame perimeter frame?

What questions should I ask?

What should I look for with the built frame?

How hard would it be to fit the motor mounts and trans mount in?

I found two 383 and a 727 in my area that I'm looking at and thinking of making an offer on one of them or both. I'm just not sure what all I would have to do to the frame to make it all work and what to look for in the frame to make sure the welds and everything is all level and strong.

Thanks everyone.

The first thing that concerns me about any parts Is a good business receipt. Some states won't accept a personal receipt when you are ready to license your car. To make sure it will work for the car you want to build you will have to get the measurements of the parts and make sure they will fit

The first thing that concerns me about any parts Is a good business receipt. Some states won't accept a personal receipt when you are ready to license your car. To make sure it will work for the car you want to build you will have to get the measurements of the parts and make sure they will fit

Thanks, what do you mean receipt? I think in VA and I need to look this up again is you fill out paper work for a kit car and they inspect it. I think they come out and inspect it through a few stages and when done they look it over and I believe drive it and then issuie a vin number for the car.

I need to double check all of that. I had trouble with a title for my 70 Coronet R/T one number was typed in wrong at the DMV and in that process of getting things straigtend out I saw the area for building kit cars. I also have a friend who works at the DMV who could tell me more so I will check into that.

Most of the builders use 2x3 rectangular tubing 3/16 thick.

Thanks I will ask him to be very clear in what was used (if he knows) and see what happens. I will also call a metal shop here and see if they can cut me tubing and weld up my own frame or have them to weld it while they have it.

I found some frame plans on TBucketPlans.com. How are those plans for the frame?

Always say YOU built the frame, if you don't know anything about it and you use it. Just have a receipt for the material,[metal].

Always say YOU built the frame, if you don't know anything about it and you use it. Just have a receipt for the material,[metal].

Thanks and I think I can get a recipt for it when I buy it if that would help.

has anyone used the frame plans from Tbucketplans.com?

I did get info back on the frame and pictures on it. I was also told by another member this is a good guy to deal with and knows his stuff. I will get the answers he sent to me in the email and post here. I also sent a question back asking thickness of metal.

Ok so this is what I have so far on info of the frame that the owner has.

Here is the frame that I mentioned (see attached). it is 106" from spring perch to spring perch. From front perch to front hairpin mount is 55". from rear perch to rear radius rod mount is 51". There is a modest 5" Z in the frame.

It was built by a local fabricator who had planned on running a ridiculiously over-powered T. This frame is stout. Obviously there is some light surface rust and the welds need to be finish ground. It is straight and true.

I don't know what to say about it other than that. The pictures tell the tale as well as anything.

Thanks and I think I can get a recipt for it when I buy it if that would help

Forget about a receipt for the frame, and get one for just the material to build a frame and still say you built it yourself, even after you use the frame you bought, A lot less hassel than trying to PROVE where it came from. IMHO Nothing illigal, just saves time with DMV because most of them don't know squat about titleing a custom built car.

Thanks and I think I can get a recipt for it when I buy it if that would help

Forget about a receipt for the frame, and get one for just the material to build a frame and still say you built it yourself, even after you use the frame you bought, A lot less hassel than trying to PROVE where it came from. IMHO Nothing illigal, just saves time with DMV because most of them don't know squat about titleing a custom built car.

Hey thanks and I will do that. I get what you are saying my DMV was a big time problem that almost cost me a sale of my R/T and the guy said he wasnt worried and would take care of it and he did. I didn't like the fact that DMV was going to put a new vin tag on my car when all hidden vins, dash vin and fender tag matched everything but one number off on title and it was a number they tped 8 and it was a 9.

Computers as well as anything electronic is only as smart as the people who put the info into them. NEVER take a persons WORD FOR IT when it comes to ANYTHING LEGAL. VERIFY, VERIFY, VERIFY YOURSELF! ! !

Computers as well as anything electronic is only as smart as the people who put the info into them. NEVER take a persons WORD FOR IT when it comes to ANYTHING LEGAL. VERIFY, VERIFY, VERIFY YOURSELF! ! !

My friend at the DMV is doing some research for me to tell me what I need to do. I found a 42 Ford Truck cab with no title and she is looking to see what and how to get a title.

I also wonder if I can use a T frame even if I have to widen it?

If I cant and I can get a title for the truck cab I might buy it and store it away for a rainy day. I do really want to build a T bucket. I'm thinking the only way I will get to is to wait until Im out of school and back to work this summer at a full time job.

Real T frames are a bit on the weak side for T buckets.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back