Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

front wheel drive

Why? why not.Why does someone put a 400hp motor in a car that originally had 20? If Iuse fwd I have no tranny hump on the car floor. I can z the frame without the drivetrain problems And the biggest thing is it's different. My biggest problem is drive shaft rotation . With the motor in backwards the transmission will be turning clockwise in drive ( from the drivers piont of view). I'm not sure of the forward rotation on a chevy 1500 4x4 front axle. Does anyone know? thanks to all for their imput...
I say if your heart is in it, Go for it!! Keep us posted. I always play outside the sandbox myself, less sand in your drawers!

That's a common trick with the off road buggy guys. Not much fabrication and it's all there in one complete package. Putting it in a T-bucket might prove interesting as hiding the unit might prove difficult due to the fixed tread width of the donor car. I have faith in you!

George
Thats one of the reasons why he chose the Bronco driveline (pretty darn Narrow). I was Crewchief, walked into the shop, theres all the driveline blocked up with cinderblocks, one lugnut holding the rims/tires on, a old beatup TBucket frame laying across the axles, with a old beat up bucket body thrown up there. I asked 'WTF????'
The guys said they wanted to build it, I grabbed the chopsaw, threw it on top of my toolbox. For the next 4 days soapstone and silverstreak were our best friends....
It was end of the season and we needed to blow off some steam, it took us about a week to have a rolling chassis.
Like I said....looked kinda cool in a weird sorta way....like a gasser.

If a person really, truely wants to build something, I always say more power to them. You gotta admit though, the classic lines of TBucket are hard to beat!
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, or in our case, the fabricator or builder....
Do what makes you feel good about your car, as long as its safe. The only thing we can do is just shake our heads in agreement or shake our heads as we walk by....

But I've always liked different, as long as it don't look plum freaky....sometimes even thats cool, too.
Like that one top fuel FC that had the motor sitting sideways and had a chain drive.....it kinda worked....hahaha

Last edited:
Why? why not.Why does someone put a 400hp motor in a car that originally had 20? If Iuse fwd I have no tranny hump on the car floor. I can z the frame without the drivetrain problems And the biggest thing is it's different. My biggest problem is drive shaft rotation . With the motor in backwards the transmission will be turning clockwise in drive ( from the drivers piont of view). I'm not sure of the forward rotation on a chevy 1500 4x4 front axle. Does anyone know? thanks to all for their imput...
Motor rotation is not a problem....all you need for that is a cam and a few other pieces to reverse a motors rotation. Like a marine motor. Chevy and all the top MFG'ers made such stuff. The cam can be had from your favorite cam grinder....just tell them what your doing....they will fix you up....
However, with the man. trans, you might have some gear whine because of the way the gears are cut. If its a automatic trans, you might have to have some special stuff made up....your pump would be turning backwards, etc....

Last edited:
Reverse rotation stuff: camshaft, waterpump, your oilpumps pressure spring and suction tube are on the wrong sides, a few other things also....as you'll find out....it can be done though.

#1--- Hire an engineer.
#2--- Have LARGE bank account.
#3--- Have patience of JOBE.
#4---Wait for S&%#t to happen
#5---When all else fails, start over with tried and true designs that work.
#6 --Wait for grey hair to fall out
#7---Not getting any younger, you know
#8---How is your health?.
#9---By this time too frustrated to finish car and could have been having the time of your life
#10--Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, just to be different!

Who wants to ride alone, unless you trying for a record?
Nothing says it has to be a single seater...use a stretched body, move it forward a bit, and have more of the drive train under a turtle deck or bed...go with something like a Wintec Roadster body...have the second seat behind the driver, like a motorcycle...so on and so forth

At my size, mine will be a single seater, for all practical purposes...if you don't count space for my dog.

At my size, mine will be a single seater, for all practical purposes...if you don't count space for my dog.

Mans best friend!!

I'm thinking about mounting a FWD engine and trans mid-engine. No rotation problems, no trans-driveshaft hump, Lots of foot room, light weight. Make the front end simple. It' a win-win!

A Subaru flat four and transaxle MIGHT hide pretty easily under the turtle deck of a 27 or under a longer pickup bed, similar to a Volksrod. I've never looked at it too close, but the idea has crossed my mind(what little I have left!). Some are turboed and would make decent power for a light car.

I'm surprised PotvinGuy hasn't commented on this thread with plans and schematics drawn up and a torch in his hand. This sort of out of the box thing is really in his wheelhouse.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back