Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

front wheel drive

dsparks27

I was looking at Auburn's fwd and I was wondering if anyone has tried a front wheel drive in a hot rod. I thought about using a 4x4 front axle but they are all made with the differental off set.How could I make a axle with the differental in the middle?? thanks for any info

Several years ago, one of the hot rod mags had a story about an all wheel drive 32 roadster. I think it was built for Summit Racing. I seem to remember that they used a GMC Typhoon front diff and a custom built independent front suspension. I think they used the Typhoon transfer case too.

Might be an interesting project. A 27 roadster with a track nose would fit the concept better IMO. Lots of custom parts though.

Mike

Auburn ran the engine facing backwards with the tranny facing forward. Auburn used an ifs,I would like to use a solid one.

Well theres a few instances where its been tried, and the thing about it everytime, it wasn't thought thru all the way.
If someone wanted to do this, all the hard work has been done. Audi, and several others have full time 4 wheel drives.
We've built several allout drivetrain easilys for the Mud/Dirt Drag Folks.
While a 4 wheel drive bucket could be built easily, I really don't think that a strickly front drive setup would look good nor be really pratical. If your into performance, you'll have to run strong CV Joints completely redesign the front spindles, and suspension.
Imagine a Tornaldo drivetrain hanging out there out front. And try to make it look good.
Ivo had some 4 Wheel drive cars there were. Now a person could do it with hydraulic motors and have them sync'ed via electronic valves and a onboard computer....just a little food for thought....

Last edited:
Maybe a Show Car or maybe a RetroRod....just thinking about it, it would be downright FUGLY! :rolleyes:

Maybe do it just to say you done it....it'd be so bad I think a dog would be scared to pee on it....:coffee:

All in the quest to be different is not so good sometimes. IMHO

Jim

I was thinking along the lines of a Corvair or Porsche drive train with a track roadster nose to hide a good bit of the ugly <shrug>

Back before I really truely got into TBuckets, I helped do a project with a Racing friend who raced altereds. He came up with a frame and a 302 ford with a Bronco Driveline. We Z'ed the frame ahead of the firewall and after the rear of the body. We incorporated the Step up on the rear of the frame into the Z.
Transfer case and the trans were practically against the floorboard, the front driveshaft sat nicely right beside the oilpan. It looked like a gasser with a straight front axle. Had a set of cheater slicks on the rear and a set of skinnys up front. You could jump down on it and smoke all 4 wheels.
It was really cool in a weird sorta way....
The classic TBucket Lines are hard as hell to beat.

I was thinking along the lines of a Corvair or Porsche drive train with a track roadster nose to hide a good bit of the ugly <shrug>
I've seen VWs and Corvairs rear wheel drive Buckets, and I've seen Corvair and VW motors hooked up the a reg. TBuckets driveline. The only one that looked good to me was a Corvair motored T, had a adaptor to mount the Corvair to Turbo 350 trans. Had a Potvin blower mounted in front of the corvair motor....
Had a set of webers on top of the heads and was a blow thru setup....

Why? why not.Why does someone put a 400hp motor in a car that originally had 20? If Iuse fwd I have no tranny hump on the car floor. I can z the frame without the drivetrain problems And the biggest thing is it's different. My biggest problem is drive shaft rotation . With the motor in backwards the transmission will be turning clockwise in drive ( from the drivers piont of view). I'm not sure of the forward rotation on a chevy 1500 4x4 front axle. Does anyone know? thanks to all for their imput...

Why? why not.Why does someone put a 400hp motor in a car that originally had 20? If Iuse fwd I have no tranny hump on the car floor. I can z the frame without the drivetrain problems And the biggest thing is it's different. My biggest problem is drive shaft rotation . With the motor in backwards the transmission will be turning clockwise in drive ( from the drivers piont of view). I'm not sure of the forward rotation on a chevy 1500 4x4 front axle. Does anyone know? thanks to all for their imput...

dsparks,

I too have given this idea some thought. There are a number of problems to work through depending on what type of front suspension you are planning to use. The simplest to use would be a upper/lower a-arm design. I personally don't care for that but if you were enclosing the engine bay and using a track roadster style nose it wouldn't be bad. I think you would have to build custom tubular arms just to get the desired geometry and make it clean looking. I would prefer a tube front axle based on a deDion tube design. Someone had earlier mentioned a tube axle laid flat or horizontal. I think that was the Miller cars. They cast a differentiation housing that mated directly to the back of the engine block with the engine being reversed in direction. Out either side of the case were drive axles that fed to the outer wheel hubs. Some of the early front drive cars used u-joints while some used CV units. That design would be cleaner and purer in my thinking. It would also be much more complicated and expensive to build. You didn't mention if this would be a front drive only or an all wheel drive. If it is a front drive only then you will need to put as much weight on the front end as possible. As the cars are are already pretty lite weight that could be a problem Since most of these cars usually run narrow cars you could have trouble of steep grades and loss of traction. This was a real problem in the old days so they moved the engines over the front wheel center line. If you made it all drive that would take care of that problem. As to putting the differential on the chassis center line, you do have a problem with the conventional third member designs. To use those units work you would have to move the engine back and maybe up far enough to snake a drive line from the transfer case to the front gear set. Several u-joints in there for sure. As I said earlier, I had thought about it and while it is a doable deal I don't think I have the time, money and maybe the knowledge. Lot's easier hard projects to take on at with less engineering time and money. I guess it just depends on how much punishment you're willing to absorb. Then again that's half the fun. Good luck which ever way you go.

George

One word WHY!!

Hahaha....isn't that the truth!
The answer to why may actually have a lot of answers, but the most important one just might be to prove it can be done.

People laughed when Christopher Columbus proposed sailing off the edge of the earth. People laughed when Robert Fulton proposed building a steamboat. People laughed when Orville and Wilbur Wright proposed building an airplane. People laughed when Andy Granatelli showed up at Indy with a turbine-powered car. People laughed when Don Garlits showed up at Pomona with a mid-engine dragster. People laughed when Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs proposed building computers for people to use in their homes. (Well, OK, that whole home computer thing really never worked out, but you get the idea of where I am going with all this.)

I am like George, I see a lot of pitfalls to be worked out, long before the tools and welder come out, but if dsparks27 has the testicular fortitude to try something new and innovative, it just might lead to something that will surprise us all. Rather than scoffing and laughing at someone who doesn't want a belly-button car, I am interested to see if and how he can pull this project off.

I'm thinking about mounting a FWD engine and trans mid-engine. No rotation problems, no trans-driveshaft hump, Lots of foot room, light weight. Make the front end simple. It' a win-win!

I'm thinking about mounting a FWD engine and trans mid-engine. No rotation problems, no trans-driveshaft hump, Lots of foot room, light weight. Make the front end simple. It' a win-win!

That's a common trick with the off road buggy guys. Not much fabrication and it's all there in one complete package. Putting it in a T-bucket might prove interesting as hiding the unit might prove difficult due to the fixed tread width of the donor car. I have faith in you!

George

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back