Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel Tank Placement in a Touring T

Rooster

So I have a dream of buying/building a 4 seater. My thoughts are to buy a project and make it into a Touring.

At this point I'm looking at a Total Performance Kit project that is their stock body and stretching it out. Would like to put bucket seats up front, which leaves only the space under the back seat for fuel tank and battery.
What I can't figure out is the fuel spout. The rear wheels are going to be just outside of where the tank would be and it doesn't seem safe to put the spout on the back of the car since it would be the first thing coming in contact from the rear.

Does anyone that has a tank under a seat just fill the tank directly? I'd hate to bring a gas hose into the cab, but I can't think of any other way to skin this cat......

Thanks,
Rooster

So I have a dream of buying/building a 4 seater. My thoughts are to buy a project and make it into a Touring.

At this point I'm looking at a Total Performance Kit project that is their stock body and stretching it out. Would like to put bucket seats up front, which leaves only the space under the back seat for fuel tank and battery.
What I can't figure out is the fuel spout. The rear wheels are going to be just outside of where the tank would be and it doesn't seem safe to put the spout on the back of the car since it would be the first thing coming in contact from the rear.

Does anyone that has a tank under a seat just fill the tank directly? I'd hate to bring a gas hose into the cab, but I can't think of any other way to skin this cat......

Thanks,
Rooster

Check out Wintec, they are a SV and have a good touring design bucket, fuel cell is under the rear seat if memory serves me right.

The pics did the trick. I was thinking of having a straight bench seat along the back and this would put the filler tube on the outside, not a good idea. Doing it Wintec's way would mandate a split bench.

Man I wish I could afford the Wintec body. It really is exactly what I want, but it's just more $ than I want to spend.

Does anyone fill their tank directly in the cab?

NO! YOU DO NOT WANT A FILLER INSIDE YOUR CAB OR CAR PERIOD! Besides the safety issue of a accident, you can breathe vapors, or in case of accident, you can get doused by fuel, then if there is a issue, a spark....well driving a T will probably not be on your agenda anymore! You gotta be safe!
Theres always room for fuel cells or tanks in the back....might have to special make one....but all fuel filler locations usually have to be certified, ie, looked over by inspectors.
If, IF, your gonna do something where your really cramped for room, and have one anywhere near being inside the vehicle....use a fuel cell...they are explosion resistant and won't flood the interior with fuel. Fumes can come thru your filler neck and thru your vent....
Theres certain things that shouldn't be done, and having a fuel filler in the cab with you is one of them...besides, I doubt if its a new build if you can get your papers with it like that....and if the DOT folks get wiff of this.... well.... I wouldn't want to be there!

Run your filler neck outside....it isn't that hard....muffler tubing works great, And universal radiator hose will work on your joints.

Rooster, according to some sources I've seen it's possible to re-use a lot of the components from a Total Performance T on a Wintec Roadster build. So you might be able to buy the project, sell off what you don't need, and upgrade to a Wintec.

Screaming Metal, Exactly what I was looking for, a reason not to do what I was thinking. I hadn't seen it, so figured there was a reason.

blyndgesser, It's the cost of the body that scares me. I can't post links yet since I'm new, but if you google, "t bucket touring fiberglass body" it's the first non-sponsor link that comes up. Guy took a stock body, cut it in two and "built up" an insert to extend the body. I've done some fiberglass work and feel like I may be able to knock that out.

Thanks again guys!

Of course if you are handy with glasswork, the tank can still go under the seat, but glass the seat so as to seal it from the tank and filler outside and prevent any spills entering the car. I would put a Tip Valve on the breather as well, just in case Tommie Tippee came to visit.

Of course if you are handy with glasswork, the tank can still go under the seat, but glass the seat so as to seal it from the tank and filler outside and prevent any spills entering the car. I would put a Tip Valve on the breather as well, just in case Tommie Tippee came to visit.
What Mango Said!:thumbsup:

Thanks,
Rooster

Might I add just a note of concern?
It was mentioned that flex radiator hose could be used on the filler tube.
Rad hose is not rated for fuel. I know the fuel may only come in contact with the hose for a split second, but when I remounted my tank and changed the location of the filler opening, the thought of using flex radiator hose just didnt seam like the right thing to do.
I ended up using http://www.mcmaster.com/#marine-hose/=j8ec7l
It runs from my filler opening all the way to my tank and it works perfectly.

Yes, you are correct. IT ISN'T RATED FOR FUEL! But, in the Gates hose works, its made in the same the fuel line is made, even has the same braided reinforcement in it. Fuel line is thicker than radiator hose. However, there are probably 10,000 commercial vehicles running down the road done by the best mechanics out there! The composition????
Well, the Holset HX35 Turbo is not rated for a gas motor, but I've mounted about 50 of the on gas motors, for both track and street.....
We have 4 vehicles at my shop that have a piece of radiator hose on the fuel filler tube, one of the has been on there 10 years with no problems....

You can pick up filler hose at Napa, if that is what you need, or as the man says, a Marine supplier. Fuel line is designed to contain fuel, and is gas/alchol/diesel resistant.
Radiator hose is built to withstand hot coolant, and heat. In a filler neck application, your 'hose' on a T won't be submerged in fuel all the time. Or at least it should not be.
I've never seen a radiator hose desolve from someone spraying fuel or oil on the hoses at the track....and I've seen those blue and red pumps cranked waaaaay on up there.... blowing hoses off with some really nasty stuff coming out!

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductListing.aspx?folderid=934signed to take hi pressures

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back