Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gauge position opinions

Keeper

Okay I am in the process of ordering some gauges. I know the gauges I want but am still up in the air on which actual gauges. So I will ask you all:

First, I am not a fan of the gauges running the length of the "dash" so I plan on making a gauge pod for above the steering wheel. To get a better idea what I was looking at I made up some templates. So here we go:

1. The front runner - this is a 4 3/8 speedo with 2 1/16 monitoring gauges:
22%20jun%202011%20020.JPG_595.jpg

2. Next in line - 4 3/8 speedo, 4 3/8 Quad gauge:
22%20jun%202011%20019.JPG_595.jpg

3. A modification of #1, 4 3/8 speedo with 4 - 2 1/16 in different location:
22%20jun%202011%20021.JPG_595.jpg

4. Same as #3 with 3 3/8 speedo:
22%20jun%202011%20022.JPG_595.jpg

5. Same as #1 with 3 3/8 speedo:
22%20jun%202011%20023.JPG_595.jpg

6. Same as #2 with 3 3/8 gauges:
22%20jun%202011%20024.JPG_595.jpg

7. This is #6 with an "Indicator" pod, this contains turn signal flashes, hazards flashes and warning light.
22%20jun%202011%20025.JPG_595.jpg

So what do you all think? I am really leaning toward #1 or 2 but some of the others are starting to grow on me!!!

I believe that the primary concern should be how well you can read the gauges from your driving position.

Jim

My buddy just told me he purchased a GPS speedo and it works fantastic no sensors no setting no wiring other than a hot and a ground and the dash light circuit

I used a Fiero dash pod and a 97 Cavalier column and wheel for my build. I agree with Ex Junk about visibility and would like to also add "What gauges do you feel you need?" Then how do you need to place them for the best visibility? There is also the option of multiple functions in one gauge such as six functions in two large round gauges. Or if you are, like me, in the bifocal years, you could consider digital gauges.

Al

Well the gauges I consider essential are:

Speedo
Volt
Water temp
Oil pressure
Fuel level

The tach is optional as I have an auto with a very mild cam.

#2 is a speedo and a quad gauge that has the 4 I need.

I looked at the triple gauges but no one seems to make them in a Kilometer setup!

Well the gauges I consider essential are:

Speedo
Volt
Water temp
Oil pressure
Fuel level

The tach is optional as I have an auto with a very mild cam.

#2 is a speedo and a quad gauge that has the 4 I need.

I looked at the triple gauges but no one seems to make them in a Kilometer setup!

It has been quite a while since I have driven in your beautiful country and had forgotten about your metric conversion. Your selection is very limited limited, but it will get better when we convert to the metric system, just don't hold your breath and wait for it to happen (sometime after the far right figures out that it's not a subversive communist plot).

Al

I'm likin' #6. Have you thought of some OEM set-ups? A '40 Ford passenger panel would look cool or maybe a '47 Ford pick-up panel. Just a sugestion.

Ron

I have to agree with Ron, on #6.

#6. Who's 3 3/8" cluster would you use if you go this route?

I'm a fan of the smaller quad guages (not the 5") as it cleans up an already small dash. I centered them in my '27 dash and the location works well. Your dash will be different, but mine woudn't really accomodate them centered on the wheel. Sorry for the crappy pic...the angle of the photo does';t show it, but the wheel does not obstruct the view to the gauges.

DSCF0328.jpg

A '53 or '54 Chevy cluster is also cool.

Ron

I think '53 and '54 chevys where avalable in Canada too.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back