Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gauge Sending units

Dirt-T

I have a set of swap meet gages I need sending units for.
These readings are with an variable resistor a 12V battery .
Gas gage 3 ohms =empity 106 ohms = full
Oil gage 230 ohms = 0 50 ohms = 80 lbs
Temp 290 ohms = 120* 40 ohms = 240*

I think a GM 0-99 ohm gas sender will work the gas gage.
I am looking for specs for other sending units. Does anybody have a listing for sending unit resistances?

Attachments

• PICT1303.JPG
    PICT1303.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 37
  • PICT1308.JPG
    PICT1308.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 33
  • PICT1307.JPG
    PICT1307.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 33
Couldn't find "vintage reproduction" on the internet. You might call Autometer and ask about their senders. I suspect most gauges and senders are universal (except for fuel level, which has several variations).

What I am after is what brand Ford,chevrolet or chrysler . I need the resistance value of there senders.
If some one has a temp sender from say a 60 chev or ford measure the resistance of it and give me the value.
Same with an oil pressure unit.
Thanks
Terry

I have a set of swap meet gages I need sending units for.
These readings are with an variable resistor a 12V battery .
Gas gage 3 ohms =empity 106 ohms = full
Oil gage 230 ohms = 0 50 ohms = 80 lbs
Temp 290 ohms = 120* 40 ohms = 240*

I think a GM 0-99 ohm gas sender will work the gas gage.
I am looking for specs for other sending units. Does anybody have a listing for sending unit resistances?

A GM gas gauge sender spans 200 ohm, range 40 to 240 Ohm (full to empty). The instrument (display) is a common or garden grown moving coil millammeter in most analogue automotive applications. In the gas gauges case, its 350mA full scale, 50mA for empty, giving a 300mA nominal gauge span on a usually 400mA FSD meter (FSD= Full Scale Deflection).
I am not sure how you are measuring resistances, I just direct measure with a multimeter on the closest scale

Mango I used a linear variable resistor and a 12V battery. I measured resistance for 0 deflection to full scale deflection.
what i was hoping for was who's senders would work. The instrument company's want an arm & a leg for the sending units and i would like to buy them at napa.

Mango I used a linear variable resistor and a 12V battery. I measured resistance for 0 deflection to full scale deflection.
what i was hoping for was who's senders would work. The instrument company's want an arm & a leg for the sending units and i would like to buy them at napa.
Oh, OK. As I said the display is usally a milliammeter, and written on it will be the current for FSD. The sender unit will be a variable resistor as part of a series circuit including the display, which has, effectively, a fixed resistance. In the case of the GM gas gauge, then, the sender needs a resistance span that has 50mA in the circuit for "E" and 350mA for "F". Ohms Law (V=IR) tells us, 200 to 40 Ohms.
Using you 12vdc power source and variable resistor, put your multimeter, set on mA in series with the display on test and the multimeter will give you the mA needed for a particular scale indication.(deflection). You can lower the mA needed to deflect the display to FSD by placing a resistor in paralell (shunt) with the display, calculate by the resistors in paralell eqn, Rtotal = R1+R2/R1 X R2 , or in series to raise the mA.

Hey guys, I am not sure if you know but you can go to Autometer to find out what their measurements are. You might be able to use that as a reference for yourself.

Hey guys, I am not sure if you know but you can go to Autometer to find out what their measurements are. You might be able to use that as a reference for yourself.
Yep, most instrument companies will give you the spans of their senders, if not already posted as standard information.

BTW if you want a carbon resistor thats a non standard resistance, pick the next size up and file a notch in the body to lower the resistance to what you need and then seal it with a dab of nail varnish.

Mango, do you have a link to there site?
Thanks
Terry aka Dirt t

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back