Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gilmer Belt Drive Kit

M16er

Something to share about those Gilmer Belt Drive Kits you see. I had noticed the water pump pulley on mine looked like it had a wobble to the pulley. So I start looking around looking for something different. I find the Gilmer kits using the 1 1/2 belts. Awesome looking, got one in and mounted it up..... dang... the 40.5 inch belt sent with the kit is too long. Also, the SBC with Short Water Pump kit, the crank pulley didn't line up at all. I used a LWP Spacer, that got it in line with the top pulley.

They offer a 39 inch belt...... get it in.... still too long. I measure around the pulleys and come up with 38 inches. Maybe it's the alternator bracket mount. 11 inches from center of crank to frame. Not much room to move the alternator. The old bracket curved over the top, maybe the one that curves under the bottom will work. Get that in. No dice. Start doing some research and find out Pro Comp makes the kits. I call them up and talk to one of their guys who tells me they make a 36.7 inch belt. I get that in.....too SHORT!

Dang! Whats a guy to do!? Start looking for Low Mount alternator brackets. I stumble across Alan Grove brackets. Hmmmm, that 207L looks different. Call a couple places on their dealers list. Sachse Rod Shop answers their phone, and has one in stock! On the opposite side of the metroplex, but WTH, not doing anything today anyway.

I get there, and very friendly, lots of items in their showroom too. Even took me into the back to look at vehicles they are currently working on. I walked out with more than the bracket I went for!

Got home, mounted the bracket up, did a test fit..... the short belt, still short! Tried the 39 inch belt.... BINGO! I had to do a slight mod to the adjustment bracket. It was hitting a spot on the alternator.

Now I will take it off and run the parts somewhere to have them polished and chrome plated.

I don't know if any others have tried or used these Gilmer kits before, but offering my findings so others will know what to look for. I'll post a pic when I get the chance.

So there is no type of idler adjustment to take out the slack? What happens after a few miles and the belt stretches some?

It just replaces the pulleys with a cog belt adjustments are still with alternator.My link

[media]
here it is

KMJ%20PC2251.jpg

Dawm Laptops!!!! Yea Putz....the Gilmer belts wrap the pulleys differently and are measured differently....theres alot of problems for folks trying to fit theirs.

Usually if you get 3 additional belts....1 too small and 2 too big....you'll have one that fits and just return the others. Some folks measure the bottom diameter....base dia. of the cogs.....some folks measure from the smooth dia. above the cogs....

The belts vary about 1/4 to 1/2" usually...they can be a severe pain.

Hey...thats a great looking drive though!!!!!!

I just found the video on youtube. He put in belt drive but has a piece of copper tubing in the middle of his fuel line and a piece of big pvc for a coolant reservoir. Screaming you should get a separate mouse for your laptop.I hate the touchpad.

I'm on the road going back home....I stopped to get some coffee and was able to get on line....yea, need to get another mouse and pad....will do that next week. Will be home tomorrow so I'll be on the regular computer! Ha!

Now....if I can just figure out how to get the tab bar from sitting on top of the area where I gotta type....I have to increase the editor size by 3 clicks and then hit hit the enter button5 or 6 times before I can see where the curser is....

Thanks for the post, I just bought one for my 383 Stroker. Haven't tried to mount it yet but after reading this I am almost afraid to try it. But I will see how it fits and post a note and let all know how it went. Even if it is a pain to mount, it will still look great on an open engine compartment like my "T" has. .
Something to share about those Gilmer Belt Drive Kits you see. I had noticed the water pump pulley on mine looked like it had a wobble to the pulley. So I start looking around looking for something different. I find the Gilmer kits using the 1 1/2 belts. Awesome looking, got one in and mounted it up..... dang... the 40.5 inch belt sent with the kit is too long. Also, the SBC with Short Water Pump kit, the crank pulley didn't line up at all. I used a LWP Spacer, that got it in line with the top pulley.

They offer a 39 inch belt...... get it in.... still too long. I measure around the pulleys and come up with 38 inches. Maybe it's the alternator bracket mount. 11 inches from center of crank to frame. Not much room to move the alternator. The old bracket curved over the top, maybe the one that curves under the bottom will work. Get that in. No dice. Start doing some research and find out Pro Comp makes the kits. I call them up and talk to one of their guys who tells me they make a 36.7 inch belt. I get that in.....too SHORT!

Dang! Whats a guy to do!? Start looking for Low Mount alternator brackets. I stumble across Alan Grove brackets. Hmmmm, that 207L looks different. Call a couple places on their dealers list. Sachse Rod Shop answers their phone, and has one in stock! On the opposite side of the metroplex, but WTH, not doing anything today anyway.

I get there, and very friendly, lots of items in their showroom too. Even took me into the back to look at vehicles they are currently working on. I walked out with more than the bracket I went for!

Got home, mounted the bracket up, did a test fit..... the short belt, still short! Tried the 39 inch belt.... BINGO! I had to do a slight mod to the adjustment bracket. It was hitting a spot on the alternator.

Now I will take it off and run the parts somewhere to have them polished and chrome plated.

I don't know if any others have tried or used these Gilmer kits before, but offering my findings so others will know what to look for. I'll post a pic when I get the chance.

Seems like a waste of money the gilmer belt on the mustang to drive the waterpump. Also putting the pully that far out in front of the waterpump bushing seem as though it would be hard on waterpumps. just thinking out loud!!!

I was wondering the same thing Rooster...it seems that it'll put more pressure on the water pump bearing being that now instead of the belt being behind it'll be in front of. But then again maybe it won't.

on mine the gilmor belt rides over and a little behind the fan hub,, the top pulley is like a cup no more stress than a regular belt .

I've had the T Bucket out after the install, and no problems to report with the kit install. Did a check on the belt and did a quick adjust on it.

Haven't gotten the new alternator mount finished yet either. A friend has a powder coat set up but no oven. So I went and found a good used electric oven, but we have been busy!

I got a new purge tank, billet thermo housing and one of the ebay hose kits to install shortly.

There's no need to put a ton of pre-load on a Gilmer belt, so it's actually not an issue at all. Snug everything up and tighten the adjustment bolt down. If you don't have the pulleys sheaved up real close to the belt, you'll even see the belt floating front to rear on the pulleys when the engine is running.

Just be sure to carry a spare belt with you, because the average parts store in Resume Speed, Montana won't have Gilmer belts in stock! :rofl:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back