Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Got my Junk out for all to see!

22rdstrguy

Got my Junk out for all to see! Up-Date..TURBO!!

Here be the basic beginnings of my project, low mileage '63 Buick 215 /dual-path trans(free from friend),200r4 trans(case o' brew), 1.5''x3''.120 frame(metal free from work),'22 Dodge touring front half($50),'35 Ford front axle(free @ estate clear out)'48 Ford Prefect front spring(free from friend),'85 Jag rear end($200), '39 Ford spindles(found in woods)'Glass 32 Grille shell($50), 4-8x15 Keystone wire wheels (free from scrap yard) '65 Corvair str.box($84),Heim Joints($78),misc. metal $100.
Looky what landed into my lap tonight..Buick231 complete turbo system including knock sensor computer modual,but no knock sensor..(free from friend)

WTB '22 Dodge touring front doors.

Nice pile! That little Buick is an awesome engine. Looks like a fun build.

Ron

Nice beginning! Now what the heck is with people finding these Jag rears for cheap? Now I want one!:D

Thanks everyone for the inspiration, as for the Jag rear ,I was lucky,thanks Bryce!! Sadly?.. axle ratio is 2.88:1, but then a buddy of mine told me today he has a Dana44(Detroit locker)carrier with 4.55 gears or I can have the other set of 4.09 gears for the locker, my choice and yes I said "have"...YAHOO!!..my favorite price!! Now if I could ask for some input from the professionals on the site,how would a Locker equipped rear end on a little roadster(I figure about 1300-1400lbs) be on the street?
Thanks in advance

Clearly you're doing something right... You pick great friends! Nice collection of parts and look forward to your build progressing... I have Posi-traction in mine and works fine, but am very careful if streets are wet! I don't know if there is a difference between "Detroit Locker" and Posi-traction...

22rdstrguy said:
Thanks everyone for the inspiration, as for the Jag rear ,I was lucky,thanks Bryce!! Sadly?.. axle ratio is 2.88:1, but then a buddy of mine told me today he has a Dana44(Detroit locker)carrier with 4.55 gears or I can have the other set of 4.09 gears for the locker, my choice and yes I said "have"...YAHOO!!..my favorite price!! Now if I could ask for some input from the professionals on the site,how would a Locker equipped rear end on a little roadster(I figure about 1300-1400lbs) be on the street?
Thanks in advance

Been doing a lot of reading and from what I can tell lockers belong on the race track, or if on the road, in a heavy vehicle. The locking/unlocking typically isn't very smooth and tends to produce a lot of wheel hop in the corners. What I am looking at is a Detroit Truetrac. It is a gear style posi, said to be very smooth with no clutches to wear out.

Just me, but, the 2:88 with the low first gear that most overdrives have, and an engine that makes enough torque, and you have a pretty good all around driver.

Martin said:
Been doing a lot of reading and from what I can tell lockers belong on the race track, or if on the road, in a heavy vehicle. The locking/unlocking typically isn't very smooth and tends to produce a lot of wheel hop in the corners. What I am looking at is a Detroit Truetrac. It is a gear style posi, said to be very smooth with no clutches to wear out.

Just me, but, the 2:88 with the low first gear that most overdrives have, and an engine that makes enough torque, and you have a pretty good all around driver.

Yeah that is what I understand to that a Locker is a bit harsh in a lite car,Ive had the in a few of my pick-ups and loved them!

The only problem I see with the 2.88 is going into O/D it'll be like 2.02:1 and I don't think the 215 would have a enough power(revs would be to low) to keep it rolling unless I shifted into O/D @ like 90mph. I'll have to do some more research and decide,I found a neat site with a "cam selector" it's pretty good. It's like a "poor man's desk-top dyno" it even tells you what rear gears you should use(first convert to metric,the Bore and Stroke (mm) ,intake valve dia.(mm)& the vehicles weight (kg).Check it out, here's the link: Camselector Version 1.0

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back