Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

HEI dizzy

Brad S

23 T bucket It had points and I just installed a HEI accel today.. It really sits right up against the firewall think I will have issue or pics needed? Also can i take the power off the old coil and use that for the power on the HEI?? Thanks Guys

I know its late, since you already purchased the HEI, but did you consider a Petronix upgrade on the points? Would allow you to use the old distributor housing.

As for power, as long as its only powered with the key on and its 12v, you should be okay.

The hei has its own coil in the top of the cap so don't use the original coil. an hei is big because of the coil in the cap, you can get an hei with a remote coil that is about the same size of a point style dizzy.

The wire from the coil will power the hei as long as it is not going through a ballast resistor. You must have a full 12 volts to run a hei. Dwight

Well, if your HEI has to have a full 12 volts, which all the ones I've seen do, come off your ign. switch. OR, where the power wire hooked up to the coil on your old setup. To check to see if you've got a Ballast, hook a multitester to your power side where the coil hooked up. You should have 12 volts....if its lower, say 10.5 volts, you have a ballast resister.
Thats the problem when going to a HEI, usually you get a bigger dia. distr. housing, with a built in coil in the cap. You can get the smaller one, but you'll have to run a external firewall mounted coil.
For a drop in kit, Pertronix is damn hard to beat....

Most of the small dia. stock hei's are computer controled advance. so they are not useable without a computer. Dwight

If you have a problem with the cap and the firewall. Speedway sells a recessed fiberglass piece for that reason.

Part Number 900-2706 and its $19.99

Yeh the big HEI can be a problem sometimes. Everyone I know uses the pertronix conversion that has been suggested and they seem to be trouble free. I'm now having trouble mounting my old style Pertronix converted distributer because the vacuum advance doesn't clear my tripower. I think I'm going to run an old Mallory dual point converted to Pertronix - only problem being the vacuum advance is really nice to have on the street.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back