Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hello from MD

MDrex

Just found this place. I'm looking for my next car project, just sold a 500+HP '93 Mustang. Want something old and cool, and cheap. I've always wanted to build my own car and figured a bucket was the best place to start. I'm a huge car fan and love anything the goes fast, handles well or looks cool.

So, anyone else from MD? I'd love to see some local rods to help with my plans.

I lived in Baltimore for along time. Moved to TN 31 years ago.

Where in Baltimore do you live? I was from the south side down past Curtis Bay going toward Fort Smallwood.

Anway welcome to the site

:welcome::welcome:

LumenAl said:
Good thing you said looks cool... T's go fast (or very fast), but handling is highly overrated when ya look real cool! :cool:

There is a car for everything. Some just go very fast in a straight line, like my last Mustang. Some go fast, can turn and stop, like my STi. And then there are cars that just need to look good, like so many classics.

RPM said:
I lived in Baltimore for along time. Moved to TN 31 years ago.
Where in Baltimore do you live? I was from the south side down past Curtis Bay going toward Fort Smallwood.
Anway welcome to the site

I live in Hampden, just across the park from Johns Hopkins University. I like the area I'm in, but MD has become so expensive that I can't afford more than a rowhouse and still be within a decent commute to work. The worst thing about that is that I only have a parking pad, no driveway or garage. So when I start my build, I'll have to rent something.

MDrex said:
old and cool, and cheap.

You are in the right spot:eek::welcome::lol:

plenty of us here fit that description:cool:

Welcome to the forum:toast:

Vance

Not from MD, but welcome from Vegas. :cool:

I live in Hampden, just across the park from Johns Hopkins University. I like the area I'm in, but MD has become so expensive that I can't afford more than a rowhouse and still be within a decent commute to work. The worst thing about that is that I only have a parking pad, no driveway or garage. So when I start my build, I'll have to rent something.

I used to work right near there. There was a NAPA machine shop there on Reminton Ave, between 29th and 30th streets.:welcome:

Welcome to the site. Are you looking at kit cars or scratch built?

Ron

Glad ya made it in and I hope you like it! There are a bunch of nice guys with a ton of experience and enthusiasm here. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and someone will try and help.

Youngster said:

Ron

I'm looking at both. The 2 kits I'm looking at are the ones from Spirit and Total Performance. But I'm also looking into just buying a body and frame with the mounts already on it and going from there. Just trying to decide on the best path for me. I'd love to hear anyones advice or opinions on this subject.

Youngster said:

Ron

I'm looking at the basic kits from Total Performance and Spirit. The one thing I don't want to have to do is a lot of welding. I have friends that can weld very well, so they can help a little. I have also thought about getting just a body and frame with all the mounts already welded. And peicing it together from there. One of my ideas is to find a cheap auto 5.0 Mustang as the donor for the engine and tranny and maybe the rear.

Any idea, opinions or advice on this subject is greatly appreciated.

MDrex said:
... One of my ideas is to find a cheap auto 5.0 Mustang as the donor for the engine and tranny and maybe the rear...

What! You want to put ford power-plant in a T! :lol:

Last summer I took my T over to Polson Montana for a show... about 350 cars judged by the judges for the Spokane Goodguys show... I was stunned to get a trophy for a top 3 Ford as there were some really nice big dollar FOMOCO cars there... There was some serious grumbling from many of them as I run a 327 SBC, Turbo 350 Transmission, and a 56 Chevy rear end!

I just took the $100 prize money and kept smiling as I rewarded myself with a couple of rounds... :lol:

I know Mustangs, so I figure the best way to do this is use what I know. Plus they are cheap, abbundant and easy to work on. I'm not building a show car, just something to have fun with. Thats one reason I don't want to dump too much money in it. Or course I am not going to cut corners either. When I decide to spend more money on a build it will be either a FFR Cobra or Daytona Coupe.

Yeah, I know you were kidding. How could anyone say a Ford motor doesn't belong in a Ford car, right? If I was a Camaro guy I'd be looking for a cheap Chevy motor, but I was a Mustang guy so that's where I'll go for my cheap drivetrain. I'll probably skip buying a whole car and just part it together buying used stuff on the Mustangs boards. Really the only things I want from the Mustang are the motor and tranny.

I have been looking around and found donsrods car and love the way it sits. I have been thinking about using the Spirit frame to start with, but will that frame allow me to get that low? Or will I need something with a more radical Z to it? What are you guys doing to get your cars to sit like his?

attachment.php

Don's car kills me... very cool...I talked to a guy building a spirit car...He said that he got spirit to add an extra 2" in the kickup...then he used a 6"drop axle in the front, instead of a 4"... I dont know how much they can drop it before they would have to re-configure suspension and such though

Thanks for the info. When I get to that point I'll talk to the guys at Spirit. That would be great if they can do that. I want it to sit low, but not so low that I will need to make major changes. I also don't want it to scrape on everything, we certainly don't have perfect roads in Maryland.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back