Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hello new here

New here just saying G'day. I'm a 52 year old life long car nut. Ran a Front engine C/D with a clutch auto years back now looking to build a street car. Initially I was looking at a Pick-up build but after getting no where for a couple of years I realised maybe it wasn't what I wanted and I've gone back to what sort of car turned me on to cars as a kid in the 1960's. The local Registration Authorities ( South Australia) have plenty of hurtles in the way of Hot Rod builds and we have a volunteer body known as the Technical Advisory Committee that liaises with them and works for us (Hot Rodders) however it is still nearly impossible to build and get a "T" bucket on the road here with a fabricated chassis (frame). I have a solid mechanical knowledge and background, a decent work space, limited equipment and limited fabrication skills. I have a decent Model A frame I want to use with a small step at the rear along with the original front and rear springs - less a few leaves and the original A front axle. I also have a V8 flathead and will be using a 3 speed manual gear box from a sixties Falcon. As far as wheels go I have some nice '60's 15x6 and 14x 6 5 spoke mags that have never had a tyre fitted that will run some thing like 185/70/14's on the front and 215/70/15's on the rear. I would like to keep the wheelbase at less than 100" I know what I want and have a less is more mind set. I'm going to need your help and I'm about to put my first posting up and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Retroboy, perhaps these photos might give you some inspiration. The car belongs to a friend of mine who is quite crippled. He built the car himself using a Model A axle and a flathead with a C6 automatic because of his inability to operate a standard shift. Although the frame is not from a Model A, I think that it should help you formulate your build.

The first two pictures are taken in front of my house right after I finished painting it as a favor to him.

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

The last two are in front of his house after he got a little more put together but still missing the mufflers. If you look closely at the last picture you can see the '37 Ford flatbed that he built using a Ford Ranger frame and a small block Chevy engine.

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

Jim

It is always great to be a bit different, and Welcome to the site from HOT Bakersfield, CA. I had that same problem with the rule book about home built frames in AG/Super cars, I proved that a good shop built frame was safer than any stock old frame, a lot were not made to weld on, like the model A frames... I would try and get that law changed by showing them the improvements over using any stock old frame (stronger and boxed, plus more suited to welding)SAFER all the way around... :)

Ted you're right but the trouble is they don't really want us on the road and as many hurdles as they can find will have the effect of deterring all but the keenest from building them for themselves. As I said we can get Rego through the TAC or have a Mechanical Engineer that the rego people nominate sign off on a car or we can run the gauntlet but penalties are such these days that no one does. I'll get through because I'm on a Model A chassis which is nothing more than a glorified bed frame.
Cheers
Tony

Retroboy, perhaps these photos might give you some inspiration. The car belongs to a friend of mine who is quite crippled. He built the car himself using a Model A axle and a flathead with a C6 automatic because of his inability to operate a standard shift. Although the frame is not from a Model A, I think that it should help you formulate your build.

The first two pictures are taken in front of my house right after I finished painting it as a favor to him.

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

The last two are in front of his house after he got a little more put together but still missing the mufflers. If you look closely at the last picture you can see the '37 Ford flatbed that he built using a Ford Ranger frame and a small block Chevy engine.

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

Jim

Thanks for taking the time to post these - I particularly like the rear quarter views.
Cheers
Tony

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

Jim

Thats a sweet ride.
I would nt change a thing... just drive it. Take an example from your friend and go with what he has done. Seems to work for me

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back