Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hi from KC

RUN-NE1

New here so I figure I will post up. My dad finished building this Tbucket 35 years ago and I just got it running again so bear with me as it is running but not perfectly cleaned yet. He use to race the car went 10.31 @ 129mph back in 1978-1982 really fast street car. I live in Blue Springs MO and plan on going to some of the rod runs around here. I dont want to change the car I want to "restore" it though. I do want to put disc brakes on it and Convo Pros on the front but other than that just repaint candy apple red and new interior and a few other little things just make it a cruiser. albeit a quick one....
Sorry for the bad pics I will put up better ones later. Sorry for the mess.LOL
IMG_2349.jpg

IMG_2348.jpg

Welcome :) Nice bucket, :cool: I have one that my dad and I built 20 years ago.

VegasBruce said:
Welcome :) Nice bucket, :cool: I have one that my dad and I built 20 years ago.

Ah cool we went through this in 1989 and I had to redo some of it floresent paint isnt good....

Nice fixing up the old Mighty Mouse as on the door.Welcome.

I think that I know that car. I used to do some work for Channel 41 and your dad was an engineer there. We had some interesting projects for them. I actually knew your uncle before your dad.

Of course all of this is based on your last name starting with a "P".

Welcome to the group!

GAB said:
I think that I know that car. I used to do some work for Channel 41 and your dad was an engineer there. We had some interesting projects for them. I actually knew your uncle before your dad.

Of course all of this is based on your last name starting with a "P".

Welcome to the group!

Well I be its George from Tubular. Yep thats him. You've done some work on the car as well. I remember dad telling me about tearing the rear end out from under it when at the track and having you reinforce it so that it wouldnt happen again. Did you know Bob or Bill first? We still have the water pump offset extensions you made for the car also.

Hey George was it you that had a track T like in your avatar? I am thinking a long time ago like 20+ years maybe

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't remember your name as I do remember meeting you several times.

I do remember your dad's (Berry) and your uncle's (Bob) names. I worked at a farm supply company that was next door to the truck rental company that your uncle Bob worked for. I used to see and talk to him at the Mobil-teria truck at break times. He had built a very nice chopper that was later stolen and I don't believe that it was ever recovered. All of this was prior to 1975. Where did the time go? :D

As far as the track roadster goes, There were a couple from this area that I was involved with but nothing that I owned. This one belonged to Jack Campbell of Liberty:

JackCampbellTrackRoadster-1.jpg

There were a couple of others that I had a hand in. One was for Don Cain and the other was Jack Schorr's. Here is Jack's:

scan0023.jpg

I don't have any good pics of Don's car. Here is an in-construction shot:

scan0026.jpg

Those cars were built between 1975 and 1980.

Since you are now knee deep in a Bucket, you might be interested in the Cowtown T's. Check out their website at Home. They are a very active group.

GAB said:
I'm ashamed to admit that I don't remember your name as I do remember meeting you several times.

I do remember your dad's (Berry) and your uncle's (Bob) names. I worked at a farm supply company that was next door to the truck rental company that your uncle Bob worked for. I used to see and talk to him at the Mobil-teria truck at break times. He had built a very nice chopper that was later stolen and I don't believe that it was ever recovered. All of this was prior to 1975. Where did the time go? :D

As far as the track roadster goes, There were a couple from this area that I was involved with but nothing that I owned. This one belonged to Jack Campbell of Liberty:

JackCampbellTrackRoadster-1.jpg

There were a couple of others that I had a hand in. One was for Don Cain and the other was Jack Schorr's. Here is Jack's:

Those cars were built between 1975 and 1980.

Since you are now knee deep in a Bucket, you might be interested in the Cowtown T's. Check out their website at Home. They are a very active group.

My name is Chris and I think I remember this one above. I didnt know Jack Schorr had one interesting.

Bob still has his chopper that he had back in the 70's not sure if it was recovered or one he build after that one got stolen...

:) Glad to see someone else in this area. I to am a member of the cowtown t's fine group of people check em out I believe you'll like em. I live in indep not far from ya.:cool:

I remember Cambells track T from the cover of Rod&Custom. Man i drooled all over that car then and it still has the same charm today. That was the nicest one to evolve from the Thom Danials drawing in a mid '70's Rod&Custom. Thanks for the memories guys.

Ron

Ron,

I think that the one on the cover of R&C was Squeege Jerger's (sp?). Jack's was a pretty close duplicate of it. Squeege's had a 4 cylinder with a couple of side drafts sticking out the drivers side of the hood. Jack's used the little Ford 60 V-6.

A little story about these cars...Jack had his car up at Columbus at NSRA's doins a couple of years after Squeege's car debuted. SJ was there also with another of his cars and a friend of his told SJ about seeing Jack's car and it being an exact duplicate. SJ got mad as heck and eventually ran into Jack and read him the riot act for doing it like that. After he got done with his tirade, Jack calmly explained to him that he had seen the SJ car and really fallen in love with that style of track roadster but he wanted to do his different. He said that everything that he went to do, he would consider a variety of ways to do it and always end up using SJ's idea as it was the best way... in his opinion at least.

After Jack explained it that way, SJ calmed right down and they got along fine after that.

Now that I think about it, Jack's car was on the cover of Rodders Digest. It was on the track at the Indy Speedway. Pretty early issue if I remember right.

I sure wish that Jack had taken a mold off of his nose. He made that one out of a couple of Speedway's sprint car pieces and a lot of body work talent on his part. It is my all time favorite shape for a track roadster nose. :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back