Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Homemade intakes

It was fairly normel to see and do,home made intakes for extra carbs in the 1950's,I did a few my self for 3x2 just by drilling holes in cast iron intakes and brazzing tube and mount plates in front and back of a 2bbl stocker,and added 2 extra 1bbls on a 6cly as well the same way. They lacked the finsh and shine of a store got,but for some motors it was the only way.
I was given a stock 471 ,so was thinking it would be neat to put that on one of my Y-bock 292's but I'd need a intake and stuff=I'll need to make it the old way; So here's the start,a Y-bock 2bbl intake[would of been better with a 4 bbl,but don't have one],mill out a big hole and make a steel box to brazz on to it from 1in.x1in. stock,then drill and tap for screwing a big flat alum plate on to bolt down the 471. EZ rite!:eek:
Came out good so fair.

That looks really good. Should work fine. We were going to do the same thing in reverse before we got the true tripower manifold for my Sons 455 Olds. We bought a blower manifold and were going to make up a plate for the top to cap it off and add the three carbs to.

I like the way you did yours.

Don

I started to build one for the caddy....Long Story..

I was still working at the time, and during "slack time" I decided I was going to build an Intake for the caddy in my T.
I had lots of Copper plate and pipe around the shop, so I drew up a diagram of what I wanted. Just two head plates, and a couple Tube "logs" with carb plates.
I built it out of Copper tubing 4" on the logs to fit the carb bases (2bbl Rottenchesters).
I cut the head plates out of 1/2" thick copper, milled the ports, drilled the mount holes.
Then I decided to use a rectangle tube for the port runners, so I built forming die and mandrel and formed rectangle tube from round. It worked real well but the tubes were slightly wrinkled because I had too much material to form into the size I wanted. So I tried to rebuild the form dies and then I decided to take the "Voluntary lay off" and so now the left overs are out in the shop, full of dust.....I thought the copper would have looked cool all polished up the FIRST time ..After that I figgered it'd just have to turn GREEN, I hate polishing Brass and Copper, too much like the "heads" and belt buckles in the ARMY......LOL.
Thinkin bout it, The ol AFB is a lot simpler to keep running and take care of. Maybe someday I'll try to finnish it..... Sorry to ramble ... "BH"

Re: I started to build one for the caddy....Long Story..

Please, ramble on! I have my heater tubes made of copper (yes I have a heater and it works great). I made them 3 seasons ago and they still are not turning green. I have it mounted against the firewall, 2 speed fan, and a quilted blanket that I made that snaps under the dash and lays on Colleen's and my lap, (her Idea for the blanket). As long as we have a coat and gloves on we stay toasty warm on 40 degree night cruzes.

Dennis Bynum said:
Please, ramble on! I have my heater tubes made of copper (yes I have a heater and it works great). I made them 3 seasons ago and they still are not turning green. I have it mounted against the firewall, 2 speed fan, and a quilted blanket that I made that snaps under the dash and lays on Colleen's and my lap, (her Idea for the blanket). As long as we have a coat and gloves on we stay toasty warm on 40 degree night cruzes.

Hate to Hi-jack this thread, I don't mean to...But I gotta put a heater in my Bucket too. Lumen AL has one in his, a commercial job, and I have seen others too ,Mojave Makes some compact heaters for rods. Nice to have in the Fall and Early Spring, nice weather to drive but still cold on the wifes legs......"BH"

Dennis Bynum said:
That's a pretty cool, I mean hot, idea.:lol: About how big is it?

tfeverfred said:
That's a pretty cool, I mean hot, idea.:rolleyes: About how big is it?

Hey speakin of small heater units....I ran across a web site for Army Surplus the other night. They were sellin NEW Jeep Heaters for $65.00. Real small units, but the fans were ofcoarse 24Volt. They said you could run em on 12V. and they worked fine...somethin to think about.
I think I typed in " Military Surplus" in google, can't remember.... "BH"

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back