Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

horn

I used a horn off a fork truck and mounted it on the transmission cross member at a slight downward angle. It is out of sight but very audible to those in front of me.

IMG_0652.jpg

Jim

I bought a pair of horns from Gearhead, which had red covers over a black body with Chrome Grills. I removed the removable Red covers and mounted one on each side just back of the firewall onto the wood flooring. Sounds good looks good and if you get the right angle all you can see is the chrome grill. No relay needed and I mounted my horn button just under me and the seat cushion.

I had horns on my 27, mounted under the floor. They are just a couple of the red Autozone ones, but they did the trick. Don't have one on my 23 and I miss it, especially when people in front of me sit and don't know they can turn right on red. Now I have to yell over the windshield "YOU CAN TURN ON RED!!!" :eek::crap::lol:

Don

My horn is mounted to my frame, hidden in the back below the gas tank.

I originally mounted a cheapo single-tone horn (to pass inspection) on the tooling tab/eyelet on the left side of my TH350 tranny bellhousing (I'll see if I have a pic). Very handy little mounting spot. I now have an ooogah horn mounted under the floor on the pax side just ahead of the tranny crossmember.

EDIT: Pic added...

trannytab.jpg

i like to use vw bug horns. six volt if possible. they are not expensive and boy are they loud. i have two on my vw trike and when i got stopped once the cop said lets hear it and when they went off, he jumped back a foot. hahaha

Thanks again guys... I ended up mounting my horn on one of the tranny bolts on the passenger side. I grounded it to the same bolt.

KC posting that photo of your fantastic motor is a little bit of arrogance! Just kiddin! Wow, that's the first time I really looked it over. It looks as if it would chew you up and spit you out in little bitty pieces. What is your HP rating? Tell me more about it!!
Ron

AZCOWBO said:
KC posting that photo of your fantastic motor is a little bit of arrogance!
LOL Ron. :eek: I thought about cropping the photo for that exact reason, but then thought what the hell, it's a good pic.

Block is a 1979 350 4-bolt out of a C-10 chassis, checked for core shift, magna-fluxed, align-honed (crank and cam), parallel-decked, bored .030 over and torque-plate honed. Crank and rods are GMPP (don't know the particulars), Sealed Power dished "blower" pistons, Comp hydraulic roller "blower" cam. All of the above was done by a race motor shop (Sehr Perfromance in Souix Falls, SD).

I built the rest of the motor. Heads are Dart Iron Eagle S/S 76cc, with valves and springs built up by Dart. I changed out the stamped rockers for Comp full rollers (probably overkill for street use, but they're just so damned cool!). The blower set-up is from BDS. Running 1:1 drive for about 6 pounds of boost. Blower is more for the "cool" factor than all-out performance. With the 76cc heads and the dished pistons, I figure I have about 8.5:1 compression, maybe a little less. With 6 pounds of boost, I'm right at the limit for pump gas according to BDS's charts.

Ignition is all MSD... billet mag-pickup distributor, 6AL ignition box (currently with a 5600 chip), Blaster II coil, 8.5 plug wires, NGK plugs. Running about 16* initial, 34* all in by 2800, no vacuum advance.

Carbs are two Edelbrock 600s (p/n 1405) using progressive linkage. I changed out the jets, rods, springs, float needles and seats and changed the pump stroke to maximum, all per Edel's instructions.

Motor has run smoothly and strong from the beginning, but I know I'm running a little rich. I would really like to get the T on a chassis dyno and put a good tune on it. Scott Sehr, the guy who built the short block, estimates I am making around 500 ponies, maybe a little more with a good tune. I know I'm making way more power than I can get to the ground!!

Lee_in_KC said:
LOL Ron. :eek: I thought about cropping the photo for that exact reason, but then thought what the hell, it's a good pic.

Block is a 1979 350 4-bolt out of a C-10 chassis, checked for core shift, magna-fluxed, align-honed (crank and cam), parallel-decked, bored .030 over and torque-plate honed. Crank and rods are GMPP (don't know the particulars), Sealed Power dished "blower" pistons, Comp hydraulic roller "blower" cam. All of the above was done by a race motor shop (Sehr Perfromance in Souix Falls, SD).

I built the rest of the motor. Heads are Dart Iron Eagle S/S 76cc, with valves and springs built up by Dart. I changed out the stamped rockers for Comp full rollers (probably overkill for street use, but they're just so damned cool!). The blower set-up is from BDS. Running 1:1 drive for about 6 pounds of boost. Blower is more for the "cool" factor than all-out performance. With the 76cc heads and the dished pistons, I figure I have about 8.5:1 compression, maybe a little less. With 6 pounds of boost, I'm right at the limit for pump gas according to BDS's charts.

Ignition is all MSD... billet mag-pickup distributor, 6AL ignition box (currently with a 5600 chip), Blaster II coil, 8.5 plug wires, NGK plugs. Running about 16* initial, 34* all in by 2800, no vacuum advance.

Carbs are two Edelbrock 600s (p/n 1405) using progressive linkage. I changed out the jets, rods, springs, float needles and seats and changed the pump stroke to maximum, all per Edel's instructions.

Motor has run smoothly and strong from the beginning, but I know I'm running a little rich. I would really like to get the T on a chassis dyno and put a good tune on it. Scott Sehr, the guy who built the short block, estimates I am making around 500 ponies, maybe a little more with a good tune. I know I'm making way more power than I can get to the ground!!

With a good fresh tuneup.....I estimate about 565 horses...........:cool:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back