Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How much paint does it take to paint a body?

ellis8500

I'm building a Spirit 27T and wonder how much paint does it take to paint the body and frame. Plan on acid etch primer on steel parts, filling primer, base coat and clear coats. Might have a ghost stripe in there too.

I'm building a Spirit 27T and wonder how much paint does it take to paint the body and frame. Plan on acid etch primer on steel parts, filling primer, base coat and clear coats. Might have a ghost stripe in there too.

I used cellulose to paint the T for a color trial (see its 'yellow now' post). Body took 1 Qrt of cellulose top coat and more filler primer. Modern paint seems to go further but I'm sure a member will give you some more accurate estimates. The one thing I know is that chassis EAT paint so go for more than you think you need. After all with the cost of build whats another couple of qrts of paint.
gerry

For a black frame and white body I bought:

2 Qt primer with hardener
1 Qt. white sealer
1 Qt. black base
2 Qt. white base
2 Qt. pearl
1 Gal. Clear with hardener

I probably used about 2/3 of everything, maybe a little more. That stuff alone adds to about $900.00. Throw in tape, filler, sand paper, thinner, reducer, mixing cups, buffing compounds and a host of other incidentals and you have a good reason for doing the labor yourself. It isn't all that hard if you have plenty of patience. I did all the painting on the front lawn, you just have to turn off the sprinklers.

Pics in about 3 weeks (I hope).

Jeff

I used just over 5 quarts of Base (Dupont Hot Hues) and about 6 quarts of clear for my Frame, rear axle, 4 bars, driveshaft, tranny, engine, body (+underside and dash), rad shell, headlights, frame covers, and 12 oilfilters on my '27. It would be difficult to quantify primer as some bodies require more and the level of finish may vary. Now my '27 probably has more surface area than most as my frame has more steel and such, I have frame covers and a roll pan, but if you were getting custom mixed paint, I would buy no less than a gallon--and I would re-evaluate after you paint the frame . That's when I bought another quart of base and mixed it in with the rest of the original gallon. Here is a pic or two of the frame and body just out of paint so you can see what I was covering.
Bens27285.jpg

Bens27320.jpg

Why is it no one has mentioned the 24-12 oz cans needed to paint this car.

Why is it no one has mentioned the 24-12 oz cans needed to paint this car.

Oh
youve done it as well.Only problem is wrist ache LOL

Oh
youve done it as well.Only problem is wrist ache LOL

Rollers work better--- I've painted a demo derby car that way. Saw a guy paint a dirt street stock racecar with a Wagner Power sprayer once...used thinned down Rustoleum. Looked good going down the straight!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back