Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How much transmission oil...

EX JUNK

...does a TH 350 need after changing the filter? (I dropped the pan after draining it and changed the filter and pan gasket, the converter was not drained.) I have a Lokar dip stick and it is virtually useless in determining the level.

Jim

Pan and filter change will take four quarts iirc. Get the right dip stick so your trans will be properly filled all the time.

Hey Jim, you do know that your supposed to check the tranny fluid level with the motor running, right? I shortened my Lokar stick when I moved the mount from the firewall to the back of the right cylinder head. I asked on Hotrodders.com how to make sure I cut the stick to the right length. I was told that the "full" mark should be even with the oil pan rail (needs to be checked with the pan off). This was from one of the guys who runs a transmission shop, so I assume he knows what he's talking aobut.

Lee_in_KC said:
Hey Jim, you do know that your supposed to check the tranny fluid level with the motor running, right? I shortened my Lokar stick when I moved the mount from the firewall to the back of the right cylinder head. I asked on Hotrodders.com how to make sure I cut the stick to the right length. I was told that the "full" mark should be even with the oil pan rail (needs to be checked with the pan off). This was from one of the guys who runs a transmission shop, so I assume he knows what he's talking aobut.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks guys for all the quick and informative responses. I do know about having the engine running and up to temp. when checking the level. My main problem is with the Lokar dipstick. The oil hangs up in the wall of the flex tube and marks the entire length of the dipstick thereby not allowing me to get a reading. Lokar products are usually pretty good but their dipsticks leave a lot to be desired if the tube is not arrow straight into the trans. Any bends tend to hold oil and screw up your reading.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back