Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Howdy. I'm just lurking and learning for now!

Juice

Hey, everyone;

I'm Aaron Sullivan, Sully, Juice; whatever you'd prefer. I've been a long-time fan of T-buckets, and am finally going to begin the planning and parts-acquiring process for a garage scale project. However, I'm going to mostly be doing research for now. I have the Youngster book, and am finishing up reading that, but there are so many other options, variations, tips, and tricks that I want to be sure I put together a few coherent and achievable designs before I make any decisions or parts orders.

I'm sure that the admirable "$3,000" goal of years gone by is no longer even vaguely achievable, but I'm hoping to keep my budget around $5,000 by being flexible with the engine and wheels. I'm not looking to melt tires with my first attempt. Just something fun for leisurely weekend cruises.

If anyone has links to non-v8 builds, modern budget builds, or any other resources you'd like to share, feel free to throw them my way! I'm going to start digging through the forum.

Thanks,
Aaron

Woops. Meant to say the "How to Build a T-Bucket Hot Rod Roadster for Under $3,000" book too. That's the one I'm currently reading through not the Youngster chassis plans. (I don't see an edit button)

Welcome from Oklahoma. You will need to do a lot of swap meets to make the $5,000 budget but you may be able to do it. Keep your eyes out for an abandoned project and a running car with the engine and trans you can use.

Welcome from Oklahoma. You will need to do a lot of swap meets to make the $5,000 budget but you may be able to do it. Keep your eyes out for an abandoned project and a running car with the engine and trans you can use.

Thank you! And I figured, haha. No project ever comes in under budget, but it feels good to have a target.

Welcome, Juice. You've picked a good place to hang out! Your build goals present two conflicting ideas from where I sit. First, you want to decide what style of T-bucket appeals to you, and direct your parts search thusly. Second, with a low budget build, you have to make compromises on wants vs. what's available in your price range. Finding an abandoned project is certainly a way to go, but again, you may have to make compromises. We're here to cheer you on, whichever way you go. Looking forward to your progress!

1 a.jpg

Howdy from East Texas

I have thought through the non-V8 build, and figured that a small pickup would make for a good parts base. 4 cylinder, manual trans & rear end all in one package. Or maybe one with a V6?

My neighbor has some kind of newer Ford 4 banger with a 5 speed trans in his T and it cruises along just fine.

Alternative engines are definitely cool, and generate a lot of interest. Talk about different . . . check this out!

8 in a row.jpg

Looks like a Bonneville Salt Flats racer, except for the slicks on the rear.

Lurking allows one to learn and obtain ideas to incorporate into their own build. Learn from others triumphs or failures. I grew up hanging around my fathers body shop and in my friends garage watching their fathers build race cars. Lots of wisdom gained and many good memories.

You've started right, reading up on your new project. Don't stop with the two plans that you mentioned, Tbucketplans.com offers the CCR chassis plans, Ohio Street Plans and Allied plans. Don't skip the StreetRod 101 DVD set either. There is some other reading material available from eBay and Amazon, few will add much. Figure out what the differences in the frames are and why they are different

For sure get the DVD’s from tbucketplans.com! I have been a bucket head for 50 years and still pick up ideas from Bob Hamilton. I have watched them several times.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back