Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Identify Frame?

jimmyj

Front Supension(1)(1).JPGP1010869(1).JPG
I would like to figure out what type of frame I have. Have not seen another like it, has no shocks or leafs on front. I was told it is a hydralic type, rides real good.

It must have a torsion bar in there. What I don't see is any lateral control but maybe I can see it in the photos.

Looks to be Torsion Bar type suspension. As Jay(?) said, don't see any form of lateral control there either. My guess is you would want to be keeping a good eye on those lower control arms, torsion bar ends and the beaarings the torsion bars should be riding on. Without any sort of pahard bar there is going to be on bit of cornering stress on those components. Nice looking front end all the same.

It appeats to be torsion bar.A panard bar is not needed.

I have a torsion bar setup that looks very similar. No panard bar and no problems... I too would like to know who may have made the frame.

Vic

Attachments

• P1000858.JPG
    P1000858.JPG
    796.6 KB · Views: 106
Dirt T is right ... Torsion bar front ends don't need a panhard bar.

Ron

I have a torsion bar setup that looks very similar. No panard bar and no problems... I too would like to know who may have made the frame.

Vic
Hey looks the case is closed. That is just what I have on my frontend. Thanks!

Jim Nelson and Dode Martin of Dragmaster fame used to build those T's with torsion bar suspension. That was in the early 60's.

I wouldn't mind building another bucket if that chassis was available. Nice and clean

Butch,

That's a pretty simple design to build. Just a large tube front cross member with either one Torsion bar that goes all the way through with a centering anchor that is plug welded in the center to the cross member tube.
You can also run two separate Torsion bars that butt end to end in the center with a longer splined sleeve that is also plug welded. Two arms that are splined in time with each other and the center anchor sleeve. Torsion bars are relatively inexpensive compared to all the necessary parts that go with a traditional cross spring or a coil over system. Something to think about.

George

Sounds like a Volkswagen .

Yes, just like a VW. Not sure about all VW bugs but the earlier ones built their Torsion bars out of stacked steel strips that were clamped together at each end. The was a simple way to manufacture it without having to cut splines. Now that you got it designed all you need to do is build it! Have fun.

George

If you type the address below in your search bar it will take you directly to the site you need to look at

T-Bucket and Torsion Bar front end

good luck
bob

Kinda sorta related, I remember Meangreen's old C-Cab had Nissan pick up torsion bars inside the frame rails with friction shocks on the ends facing outwards. He used a tapered frame to accomplish this. I thought it looked pretty trick!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back