Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

IFS $160!

Never seen a T with front IS that looked anything worth a sh**.
As always and yet again, JMHO

I could see an IFS if it looked like that. However, anything else is just plain UGLY! IMHO

Jim

Ran across this video yesterday, and thought of this thread.

This looks pretty workable without being too exotic, and horrors, might even be buildable without a third mortgage . . . . at least the ifs part

Thanks to IslandGirl for the vid.
I can, and want to, fabricate my own tubular arms. Not that I could afford to have them chromed.
The difficulty is threefold. I'm not in a proper shop, with days of free time, I couldn't live with a geometry that doesn't give good anti-dive and good gain of negative camber in compression, and idealized geometry never looks T-buckets good.
It would be cheap and easy to fabricate a pretty, compact IFS that rides well and located the tires properly. For you skinny-front-tire guys, you show-n-shine cruisers, that's great!
I'm not one of you. I love taking corners at speeds Corvettes can't match.
The S10 stuff isn't pretty, unless you buy the aftermarket tubular arms. Lowers aren't cheap, but uppers are.
The S-10 geometry isn't pretty.
But by keeping with proven GM engineering, noone can ever charge me with negligence nor incompetence if there is a crash. And getting aV8 S10 to pull 1G cornering is easy. There's good reason the circle track hobbyists use that geometry. It works.
When a beam axle is $370 without spindles, that just pushed the fun out of reach. I'm just doing what I can to pull it back within my reach, pretty or not.
It'll be clean, painted nicely, new bushings, etc.
To me, the spirit of street ridding gas always been to have fun with what you are able to put together, and budget is part of ability, as much as learning welding is.
By my teens, I was aware that I was born into poverty. I was aware that the only way I'd ever have supercar fun was to build it myself. I became an automotive Machinist do I could do my own engines, and I enjoyed that. I discovered I have a natural gift for porting. A brand new Superflow 1020 with every option proved that my first-pass results were Mondello-good. I found massive potential in Dodge iron V10 heads. I found amazing gains in Dart iron Eagle 180 heads. I did a Honda head that still holds a world record. And it went to my head. So I moved on.
I graduated from bolt-ons to fabricating my own. I redid an '83 RX7 so far that the only Mazda parts remaining were the body shell, gas tank, seats, and dash. And I did that one for under $10K. My main regret is that I didn't go LSx in it. Not that it needed more power, it didn't. But because noone could see the engineering, the packaging, the extent of the work, for the cursed V6 I gave it.
Sorry. Peace out.

Well Dude; just go for it. I don't need to like it, so do your best

I take 35 mph curves in the Mtns. with a '40 Ford straight axle at 55 mph but I also have a full width rear end out of a Lincoln Town car. And my tie rod is in front with improper Ackerman with very little push on the front tires.

You can only beat that with $$$$$$$$$$$$.

In the last 30+ years of building, consulting, & racing dirt trackers, I've never seen an S-10 front suspension used on anything other than a couple of push trucks. If they are anything like GM's G-Body cars, that suspension needs LOTS of tweaking to make the camber gain, bump steer, caster and roll center get to where it is right.

I'll stick with beam axles for my old hot rod builds.

Sprint cars get around a 1/4 mile oval pretty fast and I have never seen one with IFS. There at least two websites I know of that has plans for scratch building competition ready IFS. If you would like to look at them just ask and I’ll send links. They are proven and will be cheaper than trial and error. Just trying to help.

Last edited:
Thanks to IslandGirl for the vid.
I can, and want to, fabricate my own tubular arms. Not that I could afford to have them chromed.
The difficulty is threefold. I'm not in a proper shop, with days of free time, I couldn't live with a geometry that doesn't give good anti-dive and good gain of negative camber in compression, and idealized geometry never looks T-buckets good.
It would be cheap and easy to fabricate a pretty, compact IFS that rides well and located the tires properly. For you skinny-front-tire guys, you show-n-shine cruisers, that's great!
I'm not one of you. I love taking corners at speeds Corvettes can't match.
The S10 stuff isn't pretty, unless you buy the aftermarket tubular arms. Lowers aren't cheap, but uppers are.
The S-10 geometry isn't pretty.
But by keeping with proven GM engineering, noone can ever charge me with negligence nor incompetence if there is a crash. And getting aV8 S10 to pull 1G cornering is easy. There's good reason the circle track hobbyists use that geometry. It works.
When a beam axle is $370 without spindles, that just pushed the fun out of reach. I'm just doing what I can to pull it back within my reach, pretty or not.
It'll be clean, painted nicely, new bushings, etc.
To me, the spirit of street ridding gas always been to have fun with what you are able to put together, and budget is part of ability, as much as learning welding is.
By my teens, I was aware that I was born into poverty. I was aware that the only way I'd ever have supercar fun was to build it myself. I became an automotive Machinist do I could do my own engines, and I enjoyed that. I discovered I have a natural gift for porting. A brand new Superflow 1020 with every option proved that my first-pass results were Mondello-good. I found massive potential in Dodge iron V10 heads. I found amazing gains in Dart iron Eagle 180 heads. I did a Honda head that still holds a world record. And it went to my head. So I moved on.
I graduated from bolt-ons to fabricating my own. I redid an '83 RX7 so far that the only Mazda parts remaining were the body shell, gas tank, seats, and dash. And I did that one for under $10K. My main regret is that I didn't go LSx in it. Not that it needed more power, it didn't. But because noone could see the engineering, the packaging, the extent of the work, for the cursed V6 I gave it.
Sorry. Peace out.

If you have the talent and tools to build a car and no place to do it, then dreams are all you have. If you can build a-arms for independent suspension, then you should be able to make an axle for a T-Bucket. If $10,000.00 isn't a lot to you to build a car (RX7) then a Bucket for less than $3500.00 should be a breeze.Buy Chesters book and learn what is the cheapest way to build a Bucket.

13277060076611347538274.jpegFront_End_Detail_szd_large.jpg

You wont find better than these unless you build your own

I do not want to quash your dream and not trying to be an ass just offering advice to encourage you to build a T-Bucket and no matter what you spend on building it, I guaranty you will have fun. There are $250,000.00 T-Buckets out there and not worth the money as they are not street driven. Afraid to get dirty and clean or the insurance Co. says it is a trailer queen only. I built mine for less than $3000.00 but had donor car already and did all work myself. Some people took 15 yrs to finish as family-health-money-life got in the way. But they finished them. And never had a regret. Some are sold because of ride quality but most wives had the last say and wanted coupes a/c and heat. And you can have that in a T. So block me like others have or and miss something that might help and start building that dream. Poor or rich makes no difference to any one but you and be able to say I BUILT THIS.

Safe---FIRST
Dependable---SECOND
Quality of Ride---THIRD
Looks---LAST An ugly car can still be fun.

Steakneggs, I too am planning an IFS build which I've posted about here before. Been doing tons of reading on it and came across this.

This guy goes very deep in to detail of building a mustang ii front crossmember and spring seats. It is designed to use very common mustang ii UCA, LCA, springs, rack, Etc. Definitely worth a read. If you can build a frame, you can build this crossmember assembly.

How to Mustang II, Deux!

I hope no one here has a problem with me posting links to a different message board, just thought it would be some helpful information.

Of Course there is another way to go, which although not a true IFS is kind of getting there. Split tube axle which rides absolutely fine.

JB Bucket (13) (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

JB Bucket (12) (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

P3280020 [640x480] (2) (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

Looking at the IFS on that roadster looks like Heidts Super Ride. About 4K and that is roughly $1500 more than a dropped axle complete. I think that is a pretty good deal.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back