Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ignition system

Johnny

Okay, I looked through all the posts in electical and didn't see anything. What ignition system are you guys using? I figure some of you with blowers are probably using something a little more race type systems, but I will have a 300HP Chevy with a carb. I would like to hear some suggestions on some different systems that work for you. Pros and Cons. Should I use stock? Should I use aftermarket?

I'm learning a lot on this forum and I appreciate any and all info you can share.

Thanks

Okay, I looked through all the posts in electical and didn't see anything. What ignition system are you guys using? I figure some of you with blowers are probably using something a little more race type systems, but I will have a 300HP Chevy with a carb. I would like to hear some suggestions on some different systems that work for you. Pros and Cons. Should I use stock? Should I use aftermarket?

I'm learning a lot on this forum and I appreciate any and all info you can share.

Thanks

A stock HEI will work fine for you. The HEI will not work with a blower as there is not enough room.

I am using a stock HEI unit and it is more than good enough for me. Plus, parts are available EVERYWHERE.

Jim

Thanks
i also have a stock hei and around 300 to 350 hp any small block chevy will work

I was sure hoping you all would say that. I did not want to spend big bucks for my ignition.
Thanks again, guys

I purchased the accell 99 dollar hei from oreilly and it works great

Its the accel 9107D comes in black, blue, or yellow

I'm about the worst possible ignition salesman around because I just don't believe in all those aftermarket systems.

Think about how much HP was made long before points and condensors were replace with... other stuff.

Admittedly, HEI is a major step forward. I don't think an HEI would clear my blower manifold.... for me, a rationalization as it were.

When I raced bikes, I ran Dyna Ignitions because they were very simple, reliable and weighed the least of anything around. I did not and do not like MSD systems. My pal who has developed G3I ignitions systems for (piston) aircraft uses MSD because they're a great improvement over the primitive mags used on those engines which turn a runway pounding 2750 (crank) RPM on take off.... oh boy....LOL.... Get a turbine!

For my project, I have a stock Chevy single point distributor because............. oh wait, my car is not together and won't be for a year........... Yes, I know. Then, what good is my opinion?

I guess its just an opinion........ and yeah, I'm just cheap.....

FLAP i totally agree the only reason i run an HEI is i dont want the coil on the manifold or worse the firewall. I wish some company made a distributor with a built in coil that looked like an old school point distributor. The only thing Jessy James ever said i agree with is "it should look like their isnt enough parts their to make it run" Also this is just my opinion

Johnny i think the accel distributor is just one notch above stock if that but its worked good for me so far.

speedway has an HEI in their garage sale section for 59 bucks

Summit has a GM HEI (SUM-850001R) for $89.95 that appears to include the coil, which can be $50-$80 itself. The Speedway unit is less coil.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back