Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Inexpensive sttering box?

KPoole9008

I am going to use the traditional style steering on my ride. What is an inexpensive alternative to the Vega or Corvair boxs? Thanks

The most traditional box is an F1 or F100 Ford pickup box from about 49 to 56. Very smooth, strong, and easy to mount, but they are getting hard to find and kinda pricey. I have two, one in my 27 and one in my 29 RPU. The other drawback is that they are somewhat larger than a Corvair box.

Don

dodgemakingsomeprogressonfrontend00.jpg

I'm using the F-1 also. I do have a '66 econoline box with a long shaft that some rodders use to use.??

Yep, and another one is the VW bus steering box from certain years (I think sometime in the 60's)

Don

Some guys are using early mustang boxes and some are using the 525 gm box it is the same as some years of the isuzu (wrong spelling but you know)and a manuel steer s10 some of these can be found at salvage yards cheep. hope this helps

I have a lot of parts I didn't mark to identify/ My son used an NKG box ,,I think it was out af a manual 80's mazda pickup. He mounted it under the frame rail with the pitman arm pointing up

hi, francis blake! what year is the isuzu and s-10 boxes, we can use thanks,:welxome:

Francis Blake said:
Some guys are using early mustang boxes and some are using the 525 gm box it is the same as some years of the isuzu (wrong spelling but you know)and a manuel steer s10 some of these can be found at salvage yards cheep. hope this helps

I am going to use the traditional style steering on my ride. What is an inexpensive alternative to the Vega or Corvair boxs? Thanks
I need a steering box that I can mount near the bottom and inside the frame rail and that will let the pitman arm come up on the outside of the frame. I don't want the box to be setting on the top of the frame. I hope I have made my request clear. Thanks

I think the 1965 to 1991 gm s10 and isuzu are the ones I have seen being used for t buckets.

I think you have those dates wrong. S10's didnt come out until like 1982. And the isuzu's weren't the same as S10's until 1995. But the S10 boxes from 82-05 are probably the same. I say this because the suspension parts never changed in that time. Trucks only, blazer front suspension parts did change some time in the early 2000's. I have a 89 S10 here, I will try and get some pics of the box later today.
The vega box looks a lot like the early mustang box, but is about 2/3 size. And are available new for about $200.

The S-10 steering box is huge. I would not want to see that thing hanging off my frame.

My S10 is power steering, and the box is huge. Dont know how much smaller a manual one is. But from looking at a power one, I just dont see how a manual one is much different, or how it could be a good choice for traditional type steering. So I stick with my vote of vega. my last car had one, and the car i am building now has one.

Hey RPM, I think i read somewhere there is a way to get 20 percent increase turning ability out of the corvair box.
Thanks,Vince

I am new to buckets but at my family's shop, we have been putting Mopar boxes in a lot of model A's. they are strong, plentiful, and good looking. They don't have to be reversed (we do almost all cowl steering). They should work fine in a bucket.

Swimeasy,
Could you maybe post a photo or two of the mopar setup.........ruggs

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back