Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Interesting "friction shock" setup

That's probably because its tapered at each end. Almost everything on the T runs a taper somewhere. Middle straight section of the axle is 2" as are the ram tubes and the headers. Its all done on purpose in an attempt to bring the whole car 'together' in a subtle way. 99% of people never notice these things but a few appreciate the thought and effort behind it all.

Is that a factory axle from the past or is someone swedging the ends to a taper? Bugatti's had hollow fordged axles that tapered. Still don't know how they did that.

One off made for the car. Ends are solid and bent, with a reduced dia interference fit into the middle section; then welded. We did think about drilling them to take the brake fluid. Flex would go into the back of the axle before the bend and exit at the top near the calliper with another short flex. Decided against it, but it would have looked neat.

Another cut on friction dampers.

View attachment 13961

Man...that is some nice work there! Love it!
Question...how is the shock pin configured? Bolt right thru or is there a solid pin from the frame with just an allen key(?) lock bolt or???

Not sure what you are asking. The outer disk has a hole in it that corresponds to a pin in the chassis disk. That stops it from turning. The bolt is to retain the outer disk and adjust tension on the friction disk. Its not an easy set up to make or maintain, but it looks really cool and once again most people are bemused by it, even to the extent of 'that cant work'.

So I generally say....'go figure'

Thats a cool setup for sure.
Theres a lot of stuff that "can't work" out there reliably tearing up the roads on a consistant basis. ;)
I think a lot of people confuse "I personally can't understand it" with "can't work".

Someone on another site has a signature saying...something like..."People who say it can't be done should move out of the way of the people who are actually doing it!"
Very true... :)

Hacker. Ah, sorry, just reread your post. The bolt goes through the front disk, friction pad and into the chassis, over a boss. Pic should explain better.

bare chasssi front.JPG

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back