Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

It's a shame!

Tbucit

I tried, I really did. The state of GA recently passed a new law for getting a vehical registered, ("Handmade and not mass produced by any manufactrrer for retai sale") which I thought was great. But, becuase no one believes that a person could build something like my car I can't get a title. They want to know who built it and when I say I did they come back with "no we mean who made the frame and stuff" and again I say I did and then I'm told that I could not have done it (even though I have hundreds of pictures showing the work I did and 6 inches of reciepts for the things I bought). But all I got was, "this is very unsual and we will get back with you". And the ulimate disgrace was being told that the state dosen't register "go carts". Well this morning they got back with me and now they say I need two appraisals from companies that manufacture these types of cars (Spirit or Total Perf??) and then I will have to post a bond based on the apprisals which from what I could understand could be 10% of the value and then lose than money because the insureance company gets to keep it. My last resort was calling the Senator that co-wrote the bill. I now am waiting for that office to see if they can help. They were very helpful so far, but I still don't have any answers. Well next time (and I have two more in the works) I think I'll just buy a title and go about my bussiness as usual.Well that's enough, but I was hoping I would feel better after writing this, but haven't got there yet. LOL Randall

That sucks. There are a lot of hoops to jump through in Iowa but no where near what you are facing. Here a lot of the problem is the mood of the inspector the day you go to get your car inspected or which inspector you get. Some of them can be a real horse's ass. I have wondered about taking my car, when it's ready, to another state where the process is easier and have one of our fellow forum members there title and register it in their name in that state then sign the title over to me. It can be a pain to get through the inspection process here but transferring a title in Iowa is a piece of cake. Just a thought....Steve

What is suposed to be of, by, and for the people is becoming more and more us against them. Most people would be happy to abide by resasonable regulations. Unfortunately people are getting increasingly comfortable with the idea of going around the law instead of dealing with it, while the beaurocrats arent smart enough to see the potential problems there.
I decided a while ago that I am not going to start my car untill I have at least a title, and maybe a registration too. I dont know yet how I am going to get them, but as long as no one gets hurt in the process, I dont care.

I went through the legal process here years ago. Did want they asked. Provided the documentation they wanted. Posted the bond they required, which I got back 13 months after the registration date. Wasn't too bad except for the 15 month wait for the process to be completed. Now I hate to say it but they have forced me to but a title or registration and go from there. The last one took 10 days!

Ron

It sucks when you try to do right, but end up getting the shaft. My present situation is proff that good guys finish last. My whole attitude has changed about the legal system and cars.

Wow!

I thought Louisiana was tuff! What an insult to be told you couldn't build it. Unfortunately, that is a common attitude. They can't do it, so they assume nobody else can. It just has to be a "kit".

I agree with the others. The "legal" way can be so convoluted and difficult, that it forces people to go around the law. It took 3 trips to Baton Rouge to get mine straight, but at least I did get it. I spoke with a fellow while I was there who was trying register an assembled motorcycle(same process as a bucket). He was on his 4th trip and didn't think he was going to get anywhere that day either.

There's no way being legal should be that hard. :mad:

The "buy a title" route would be risky here, since the state would still require an inspection and a notarized bill of sale from the original owner. You "might" be able to convince the nice state trooper that a Chevy V8 powered, fiberglass bodied roadster was built in 1923!:rolleyes:

I hope you find a way out of this mess!

Mike

yep buy a title and get antique plates, and insure it for about 120% of its value..

and the way you do that is have a friend at a body shop give you a quote on its value.

The latest: After not hearing anything from the senators office I called back and left a message. The next day I had email from the Senator and as I was reading it I got a call from the DOR about my "problem". The lady ask a few questions and said she would call me back after she spoke with the lady I had been dealing with. The funny thing is, this was the person that I was told that had been making the previous decisions, yet she had no knowledge of the case. Anyway I went to the office to bring the orignal reciepts and was treated like a king. I was told they would walk the paper work to the inspection office and that I should hear from the inspector next week. But when I got home there was a letter telling me I would need a bond and two apprisals ect ect. I hope this was sent before the Senator got involved. Stay tune for futher developments.

Randall

Tbucit said:
The latest: After not hearing anything from the senators office I called back and left a message. The next day I had email from the Senator and as I was reading it I got a call from the DOR about my "problem". The lady ask a few questions and said she would call me back after she spoke with the lady I had been dealing with. The funny thing is, this was the person that I was told that had been making the previous decisions, yet she had no knowledge of the case. Anyway I went to the office to bring the orignal reciepts and was treated like a king. I was told they would walk the paper work to the inspection office and that I should hear from the inspector next week. But when I got home there was a letter telling me I would need a bond and two apprisals ect ect. I hope this was sent before the Senator got involved. Stay tune for futher developments.

Randall
I went through the same thing trying to register a 1962 ex swiss military Mercedes Unimog it had no vin# no cab# nothing and i didnt have any shipping documents they gave me a bunch of forms to fill out told me i had to have it inspected by the Ga State Patrol etc. I went to a tag office in Canton and presto got my plates! from what i can tell it depends on the person/office you are dealing with! id just try another tag office!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back