Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

It's About Time

I've been coming to this site for a while now and I guess it's about time I introduce myself. I live in Silver Bay, MN, am 53, married and live four blocks away from my daughter and three grandchildren. I started collecting parts for my car in 1993 and by the end of '94 I had a complete rolling chassis. By 1998 I had the car mostly complete to the point I could tear it down for paint but in '99 ended up having to put it in storage for 7 years because of multiple job layoffs and moving three different times. I got the car out of storage about four years ago but had a big rust problem to deal with. Everything that was bare metal had some pretty good rust on it so I spent an entire season (seems like 23 days of summer up here) cleaning rust. Thank goodness rust reformer comes in spray cans now. I got some rattle can paint on everything and that will keep the rust at bay for a couple of years when I can get some color paint on everything. I'm going to drive it for at least a year before painting everything with the final color which right now might be Summits Sour Apple Green Metallic. I built the frame myself, have a 94" wheelbase, '66 chevy van front and rear axles with stock drum brakes, 350 sbc that I pulled out of a snowbank for free, rebuilt the th350 myself and a truck 12 bolt with 4:11 factory gears. Even with the 31 x 16.5 Mickeys the gears might be a bit much but they were free. I can change them out later for something a little more liveable. It has a Speedway body with a 14" bed and the 16 gallon fuel tank makes space in the bed pretty tight. I got all my brakes, cooling and fuel lines plumbed last year and i've been buying some more parts and am hoping I can get it to move under it's own power this year. Even though I dumped a ton of oil in the cylinders and rotate it pretty regularly I still am worried about what rust might be inside the engine. I suppose I'll find out this year. I have been dreaming about building one of these since the late 70's and am very excited to see the car at this point. One reason it took me so long to introduce myself is because I am more comfortable being quiet in the back of the room rather than making a bunch of noise. You know how the saying goes, better to be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt. I have found I learn a lot more by listening than by talking and believe me I have learned an enormous amount about these cars from the people on this site and I would like to thank you all very much. I would also like to thank all of the other new people who ask questions because I have had a lot of my own questions answered because of your inquiries. Thanks much to all.
rod1.jpg

t02.jpg

005a.jpg

004a.jpg

Welcome and please never feel like you would ask a silly question. We have all done that and no one here will think any worse of you if you did. Good to see a scratch built T and all your own work. Like yours, my T spent 8 years at one time in storage for career reasons, but these guys do rib me about my build time. All in good fun though.
Please do get involved so we can see your dream finished and on the road, we like that kind of thing you know.
Gerry

Welcome from southern Minnesota.

Ron

Welcome from Bakersfield, Calif. a transplanted person born in Mpls. Minnesota... You will probably cut about half of that wood out as you will find that it takes up needed room inside that body, and I would re-shape that brake pedal so it has the foot pedal very close to the firewall... Just what I would do... Looking very good... :)

T Place Tee Be .. I have a learned a lot from these guys too .. Enjoy and keep us posted on your progress looking good so far

IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOUR BUILD IS TAKING TOO LONG....... I STARTED MINE IN 1968, FINALLY GOT ON THE ROAD SPRING OF 2001, SO KEEP AT IT ,YOU'LL GET DONE.

DAVE

Welcome from northern Wi. I have used diesel fuel to free up completely seized engines by putting diesel in the cylinders and letting soak. I don't know how this new crappy low sulfur fuel works for this any more. I actually used it on old hemi boat motors.Names are not my high point.There is a guy on here building one in Superior Wi. not to far away.

Welcome from L.A - on the West coast, not the Gulf coast. Like the cars when they are in that "framed" stage. Lots of potential. Very appealing visually. Check out FadT's (Gerry) car. You can look at them and say" I like how he did this or that , but I would do it differently". Provides lots of day dreaming space.
As for penetrant, try a mixture of ATF and acetone. Use in a well ventilated area.

John

P.S. As for "better not to speak and be thought a fool, than to speak and confirm it". Do not limit yourself! Seriously, say what you think, let others sort out the meaning.

Greetings and welcome from the sunny hills of Colorado.

The other day I came across some cad drawings that say I've been on and off of my '27 project for over four years and I can a;most move the unfinished chassis on wheels. I want to thank all of you for drawing me out of the closet and admitting my slow progress. And thanks for the inspiriation. I'll be in the shop most of the week end for sure.

Ha
The cats out of the bag.
See Im not the only one that takes his time.... mind you 18 years is a bit on the long side.
Gerry

Ha
The cats out of the bag.
See Im not the only one that takes his time.... mind you 18 years is a bit on the long side.
Gerry

Building takes a long time but I bought mine as "a running unit". It has run over the past three years but needs to be worked on some more to get it where I want it to be. This site is the best at getting good info and very usefull ideas. Welcome

Welcome, Handyman!! All good things take time. You came to the right place.

Bruce

Welcome from the more northern NW Wisconson guy!!

Building the Up Nort "T"

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back