Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

King Pin

bucketkids

Now that i stripped everything down for paint I can see I am missing something here. Help!

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 102
now I'm no expert here but I know when I put my spindles on there was a felt washer that goes on first. Could I be in the right ballpark?

If you are looking for the parts that are part of a kingpin set, see if this might help:

EFSA.jpg

If you are looking for the parts that are part of a kingpin set, see if this might help:

EFSA.jpg
GAB has all the parts listed in his schematic,except the axle boss spacer. Axle bosses have two different thicknesses,2 1/4---2 1/2 in. I think is right. Spacer goes between bearing and boss, and shims if needed. That's what I see in the photo where the gap is. Hope this helps, T-Test

bpicket is right. The axle you have is made for an ealy set of spindles. You will have to make a 1/4 inch spacer. Dose your axle have a set screw to hold the king pin? Line that up with the knoch in the king pin. That will tell you which side of the boss to install the spacer. Where did you get your axle?

Ron

Thanks all, Don't truly have a clue where the guy I got all this stuff got it from. There is a set screw for a flat on the king pin and a flat spot on the pin so i'm good to go there. I'm guessing the other 2 holes are for grease zerts. Do you think I can just turn a brass spacer?

Thanks all, Don't truly have a clue where the guy I got all this stuff got it from. There is a set screw for a flat on the king pin and a flat spot on the pin so i'm good to go there. I'm guessing the other 2 holes are for grease zerts. Do you think I can just turn a brass spacer?
Brass is too soft, use steel the same size as the bearing,or the boss if you put it on top of the boss to lower the frontend. T-Test

Your king pin will dictate where the spacer will have to go, more specifically the set screw in it. Install the kingpin and find where the set screw fits into the groove on it. if the king pin is not down agianest the top of the spindle then the spacer will have to go on top of the axle boss. If the axle boss is up to the spindle leaving a space between it and the bearing, then spacer will have to go under the axle boss. Don't use brass, it will ware out quickly. Make them out of steel. It should be bored for a slip fit on the kingpin. The Ford kingpin is .810. You coud use a 13/16" (.8125) drill but I would recommend turning them out on a lathe so you can be sure the bore is at a right angle to the top and bottom suffaces.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back