Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Late model rear end options?

trogdor

Are there any options for suitable rear ends on later model vehicles? I've been looking primarily at S10 rear ends in junkyards but most are late 90's and are pretty rusted out, at least in my area. Are there any newer vehicles that would work?

You might try one of the Ford "8 inch" axles:
  • Ford Mustang (1986-2014)
  • Ford Bronco (1983-1996)
  • Ford F-150 (1983-2012)
  • Ford Ranger (1990-2011 4.0L models)
  • Ford Aerostar (1989-1997)
  • Ford Explorer (1991-2001)

I see you live in Minnesota. Check out the 8” Ford listed on Craigslist under auto parts for sale. The listing shows a spool which you might want to change out. I used an 8” when I built my bucket, the width worked out fine.

The 8.8” rears are easy to shorten and use 2 short axles. Seems like it takes 4 1/2” out of the width. That’s what I took out of my 9” rear to center the pinion.

Mine came from a 99 explorer. 3:73 posi and disc brakes. $150.00 3 years ago. Read something about them online. You should also pull another axle from the short side for when you narrow it.That way it works out the cheapest.

Mine came from a 2000 Camaro with disc brakes , limited slip and 340 gear ratio . Didn't need to be narrowed. I have Mickey Thompson tires @ the rear.

I used a Ford Crown Vic police car 8.8".
I needed the extra width due to using a steel 1920 Dodge Brothers Open Touring body back half fo the extra space for my ample butt. 😅 HAS disk brakes and put a 4.10 center section with posi. Many different applications for different widths.

Mine came from a 99 Explorer.too/ IT's shortened 2-7/8" and uses a junk yard right side axle on the left side. Actually, if the S10 rear ends still have gear lube in it, the inards should be Okay. The surface rust is mostly superficial and you'll probably want to do a brake jobe on it in any case. Whatever you get, try to get the brake cables and lines

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back