Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Lengthing my frame

barrerlm

I bought a 1919 T Bucket and I'm 6'4" tall and there isn't enough room in it for me. I was thinking about lenghting the frame and bucket for more room any Ideas.

It might be easier to actually build a new, longer frame than to lengthen yours. We recently shortened one we had built for my Son's '30 RPU because he changed his mind and bought a Brookville body that was 3.5 inches shorter than the old body. It was a major undertaking to get backing plates installed to restrengthen the cut areas, and to keep everything aligned. If we didn't have so much time and work in building the existing frame we would have started over too.

Don

could you post some pictures of the car? do you know any of it's history. stratching it will take some thought and engineering but it can be done.

Ron

Really, a Dan Woods chassis? That's pretty cool. :lol: Ok, then simply treat it like any other frame building procedure where you would use the same size tubing and properly add it in. I would start at some joint, cut it there, and splice in a piece of tubing on each side. You will want to jig it up to keep warping to a minimum and put some gussets over the welded joints for reinforcement, IMO.

With some forethought it can be done pretty easily.

Don

Since I'm kinda lost, what is the significance of a Dan Woods chassis? Is it the same Dan Woods from Chop Cut Rebuild?

That car belonged to a friend of mine here in Florida. He bought it at the Turkey Run in Daytona a few years ago and sold it to a dealer at the NSRA meet in Tampa last year. He was not a tall guy at all and he found the car VERY uncomfortable. His wife refused to ride in it at all.

As far as wanting to keep the frame because it is a Dan Woods car, once you cut it up you will have destroyed any value of it being a Dan woods car as I see it. However, it is your car to do with as you see fit. With your height I don't know how you could drive that car at all the way it is.

What hasn't been mentioned on the topic of value, is the idea of lengthening the unique Dan Woods '15 T body, redoing the interior and top, etc. in addition to the frame lengthening.

You no doubt paid well for a well-built bucket with history. If it doesn't fit, I'd either sell it or gulp hard and say, "what the hell" and chop it up like you propose. If it's the car in your avatar, lengthening it will destroy the Dan Woods part of the value proposition.

well said Yblock. these cars were built to be show picecs and in my opinion should be preserved as such. the drivablity of these cars is probably what lead to the low number of sales. i doubt you will find any of these with much more than trailer miles on them. as Don said, it could be done. my suggestion would be, if you want a car to drive, put this one in a B&J auction and use that money to but a Spirit or Total turn key.

Ron

1919t-bucket2.jpg

Is this the car you are talking about?

Re: Lengthening my frame

Man on man...that is a tough one... I myself wouldn't mess with it as you are going to ruin any of the value it had being a Dan Woods build... To lengthen it, you are talking new interior, new top and bow setup, plus all the work to the body and frame... :eek:

This is one very sweet ride!

Re: Lengthening my frame

are there any pictures of the front and rear of this beauty?

Ron

thanks Yblock! might be a big trophy topper but WOW! sure is purdy

Ron

Ok after redaing some of the feed back I'll leave it as is and will find another toy to play in any Ideas, How about the shelby cobra 65 how much room there. I'll let my wife drive this one shes 5'2"

I've wondered the same thing........is Dan Woods on Chop Cut Rebuild the same Dan Woods, or just the same name?

Please don't change a thing on that T, it is gorgeous and a collectors item. Have your legs shortened if you have to. :)

Don

donsrods said:
I've wondered the same thing........is Dan Woods on Chop Cut Rebuild the same Dan Woods, or just the same name?
Don

No. No. Dan Woods built the Milk Truck and then went to work for Big Daddy Roth and was instrumental in the Druid Princess build: notice a suspension theme in his work?
milk.jpg

bigdaddydruid.jpg
1919t-bucket30.jpg

"Ok after redaing some of the feed back I'll leave it as is and will find another toy to play in any Ideas, How about the shelby cobra 65 how much room there. I'll let my wife drive this one shes 5'2"

Thats a wise decision, she will prolly fit it pretty good. I have a 15 body too and it IS small. You should really have a stretched and widened 23 body and a longer frame. Aint worth cutting up that original body and frame. Better off to start from scratch or get one already started. You stretch and widen a 15 body and its gonna look really funcky.

BT

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back