Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Lets see those 50's style garages

Track-T said:
The building came with the house, for 900 per month I couldn't resist getting it. theres about 600 sf in the main part and about 300sf of storage behind.

That's plenty of room. I have a 24 x 24 two car garage that is almost 600 sq ft and when everything is where it's supposed to be, it gives me all of the room I need. I fact when I had my T and had just bought my MG I was able to put the MG on dollies and roll it to sit crosswise in front of the T in one bay and still have room for my T-Bird in the other side. The bonus 300 ft for storage you have is a deal.

Let's see. Do you have plumbing out there? I'm thinking wet bar, satellite dish with hi def TV, a poker table and air conditioning. You know, The normal things any good, working shop should have.

My um spick and span garage left to right 1thru 5
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I would be ashamed to show mine. At least you can get a car in yours.

ONLY because it's well hollowed out.But i know where every thing is.:)

Oh man do i know about that i blame my 24 year old for not putting my stuff back then boom it shows up where i laid it down.:eek:

Got these today for the garage 8 of them from an old guy they were in an old warehouse. I tried to pay for them but he said no just put them to good use

rats28 said:
Got these today for the garage 8 of them from an old guy they were in an old warehouse. I tried to pay for them but he said no just put them to good use

As you said, those are old commercial RLM reflectors often used with 250 watt bulbs or with the Mogul bases, 300 - 500 watt lamps where quite common... it the cost of electricity, the fixtures quickly gave way to more efficient fluorescent lamps...

An option for you to keep the old time look but have some energy efficiency and a ton of light are these...

os_NAED_image.asp

It's a Sylvania CF65EL/TWIST... it's only 65 watts but puts out MORE light (4200 lumens) than a 250 watt incandescent (3800 lumens)... color temperature is 4100K which is better for a shop than the 2800K or 3000K that would typically be found in this type of lamps... oh yea... average rated life of the lamp is 8000 hours...

If you used all 8 fixtures... and say 4 hours per day using 250 watt bulbs would run ya almost $300 a year in energy costs ($.10 KWH) and the 65 watt flourescents would be about $75 per year...

LumenAl said:
It's a Sylvania CF65EL/TWIST... it's only 65 watts but puts out MORE light (4200 lumens) than a 250 watt incandescent (3800 lumens)... color temperature is 4100K which is better for a shop than the 2800K or 3000K that would typically be found in this type of lamps... oh yea... average rated life of the lamp is 8000 hours...

Don't break one. You will have to call out the Hazmat team.

der Spieler said:
Don't break one. You will have to call out the Hazmat team.

good news... that's an urban myth that seems to be prevalent... in reality... these are the facts...

CFLs contain a very small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing an average of 4 milligrams about the amount that would cover the tip of a ballpoint pen. In addition, many manufacturers have reduced mercury content in CFLs at least 20 percent in the past year and some have dropped mercury content to 1.4 2.5 milligrams per light bulb.

For cleaning up a broken CLF lamp in a shop (area with hard surfaces) you simply:

1. Before Clean-up: Air Out the Room

• Have people and pets leave the room, and don't let anyone walk through the breakage area on their way out.
    [*]
    Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.
    [*]
    Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one.
    [*]
    Carefully scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
    [*]
    Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass pieces and powder.
    [*]
    Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place towels in the glass jar or plastic bag.
    [*]
    Do not use a vacuum or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces.
    [*]
    Immediately place all clean-up materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area for the next normal trash pickup.
    [*]
    Wash your hands after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing clean-up materials.
    [*]
    Check with your local or state government about disposal requirements in your specific area. Some states do not allow such trash disposal. Instead, they require that broken and unbroken mercury-containing bulbs be taken to a local recycling center.

For other types of surfaces with broken CFL lamps, you can see instructions at:

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/promotions/change_light/downloads/Fact_Sheet_Mercury.pdf

It should be noted that though the tone of those guidelines is somewhat alarming, the recommended procedurein short, let the room air out, carefully clean up the mercury and glass shards, and seal the mess in a Ziploc bagis really pretty easy to follow... Cleaning up broken CFLs properly isnt that hard.

Sorry about the thread hijack! :eek:

I was being a little facetious with my Hazmat comment but I'll stick with incandescent as long as I can. I don't think I would enjoy opening a window to air out a room when the outside temp is -15 and the wind is gusting to 35 mph. That defeats to purpose of heating your home.

The clean look is nice, but don't forget to decorate the most overlooked spot of all - the cieling. A buddy of mine got an old A&W lighted sign from the junk yard. It was huge and looks great on his ceiling !!

Got a catalog in the mail today from Genuine Hotrod Hardware. They have tons of signs, pumps, furniture and novelty items and useful things too for decorating a garage mahal in the 50s style. http://genuinehotrod.com

der Spieler said:
Got a catalog in the mail today from Genuine Hotrod Hardware. They have tons of signs, pumps, furniture and novelty items and useful things too for decorating a garage mahal in the 50s style. http://genuinehotrod.com

Don't know if I should thank you or kick you for that link.
I just ordered a Bear Alinement sign for my shop. I worked in one right out of high school.

You'll start getting Summit catalogs now if you don't already. Man could I spend some money there. Problem is, Idon't have any wall space available. Maybe I should sell some of my treasures.....Naaaw, I don't think so!

Ron

I have a bunch of Summit catalogs that need to be recycled. They take up valuable shelf space.

OK...Where do you work/build your cars?

Ron

What you see is all I have for a garage. As a mater of fact, my '37 is stashed in my trailer so that I have room to work on a Camaro that we plan to run at Bonneville next year. I wish that I had the garage down here in Florida that I had back in Ohio but I much prefer the weather down here.

Jim, There's a spot of dirt just in front of the bucket!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back