Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Let's see your homemade fuel tanks

TheYeti

Came up with the idea to home build a fuel tank to fit properly in the trunk of my 27 while not eating up trunk space like a fuel cell would. Done the calculations and can build a tank that holds 9.9 gallons stuffed up behind the seat.

Looking to see other peoples fuel tanks.

Have access to a metal brake and a guy that tig welds. Been do research on baffles too.

Have access to a metal brake and a guy that tig welds.
That's pretty much all you need. You can get the sending unit plate and fill neck from Summit or other places. I don't think baffles are necessary in a tank that size.

G'Day Yeti,
If you do finish up building your own tank (always an interesting project) and put baffles in it, don't fall for the trick of drilling holes down low in the baffles or cut the bottom corners away. Once you do this the baffle no longer does what it's meant to do. By all means drill some holes above centre to assist filling. If the baffle plates are a sliding fit in the tank body there will be plenty of room for fuel to pass on a restricted basis, inhibiting fuel from sloshing from side to side. I found this out the hard way quite a while back had baffles in a tank with the bottom corners cut away (to "assist" filling) and they may as well have not even been in the tank. Hope this is helpful.
Regards,

I Dunno . . . .

If you have a big beer keg tank mounted high, I can see the need for effective slosh control . . .

For the nominally ~10 gallon tanks mounted between the frame rails, I'll take slosh any day over putting that foam shit in my tank.

But that's just my 2 cents
I was reeeealy hesitant to do that as well.
After reading about how a 3/4 full tank mounted high could cause a shift in weight going around a corner, I decided to add some for more as a safety precaution than anything else, Paranoia set in...
My tank holds 12 gallons, and I sure didn't want to cut it open, install a baffle or two, then weld it back up.
Also the first thing I did after the first fillup post-foam was change pre-pump fuel filter.
Sure enough, I saw some small black flakes, no doubt the result of me cramming the blocks through the 2" filler neck... not horrendous, but for sure enough to clog up a line (or carb) if they had gone all the way.
You are right... if I had a turtle deck or anything lower, I wouldn't have worried about it at all, tbh.

Lots of good stuff for tank building.

Boyd Welding

Boyd Welding made me a custom tank for my Cobra. They do amazing work and are open to anything unique you want. If you need someone to make a tank for you . . . you would be hard pressed to find anyone better.

RPM, one of our sponsors, has also made some awesome custom fit tanks. Check him out.

A small hole or gap in a baffle will slow the slosh which is the goal in my opinion. If you are that worried about it put in swinging trap doors.

RPM, one of our sponsors, has also made some awesome custom fit tanks. Check him out.

Oops, sorry I am new here and already putting my foot in my mouth. I should have checked on site sponsors before referencing someone! I appreciate sponsors as they keep the forums alive for all of us!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back