Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Lokar shifters

I have a Gennie trans mount shifter, very similar.

BeckyShifter.jpg

I'm using a "Track-T" Shifter....
100_0235.jpg

Hear is a picture of the Lokar shfter and brake in my T. The shifter and the brake mount to the transmission.[attachment=2641:1/3/4/9/2350.attach]

Look at the dif type of shift handles ,tall ,short, single bend , double bend. Genie also makes several choices to.

If you get the really long ones I believe Rick had this problem with such a long handle they can shift with the gforce and vibration on there own. I am talking like the 32 inch.

I have 2 of the one like you have in your car. They are leftovers from Lokar installations. The Lokar will be much easier to use.

Ron

We have two Lokars and one Gennie. I',m a little disappointed in my Lokar, it has dropped down a gear on bumps sometimes, and the neutral safety switch works sometimes and doesn't work other times.:eek: Finding low gear at times is a little difficult too.

Don

donsrods said:
I',m a little disappointed in my Lokar, it has dropped down a gear on bumps sometimes, and the neutral safety switch works sometimes and doesn't work other times.:eek: Finding low gear at times is a little difficult too.

Don

Is that common problem with Lokar? I just liked the Lokar because i can mount it above the floorboard, and i wanted a fairly short shifter (like around 8").

I'm thinking the dropping down a gear is a function of the length of your stick, the weight of your shift knob and the angle you have set on your shifter. I'm pretty sure the Lokar relies on the detents in the tranny and doesn't have detents of its own between 3, 2 and 1. The "rooster comb" in the tranny doesn't really have a lot of holding power, so if the combination of stick length (leverage), knob weight and angle of the dangle are just right, they can overcome the rooster comb with a slight bump. You could drop your tranny pan (always fun), pull out the rooster comb and bend it a little to put more tension on the detents... might help.

I, too, have struggled with setting the safety switch. The little nubbin they give you for that purpose is helpful, but the real trick is setting the depth on the switch itself. I used some super thin washers to move the switch out a little and that eliminated the overlap between neutral and third (or reverse, depending on which way you are adjusting).

I also have the low gear problem. I think the locking point between 2 and 1 (where you have to push the button to get to 1st) is a little off, at least in the TH350 version. On mine, I can get into first before I hit the lock point, which almost launched me through the windshield a couple of times! :welxome: As far as I know, that can't be adjusted.

EDIT: I originally said "the overlap between neutral and first" above... I meant between neutral and third. :doh:

To be fair to Lokar, I haven't really played with trying to readjust the shifter since I bolted it in place two years ago. I think I could stiffen up the action so it doesn't drop down a gear on bumps, and probably get the neutral switch adjusted as Lee has done. But working through that little hole in the floor is not much fun.

I'll tell you one thing..........when you are going 70 mph down the interstate and it drops into 2nd it will get your attention. Every time it happens I hear this engine roar and think someone with louder pipes than mine is passing me! :eek::lol::lol:

Don

The dropping a gear part is what worries me. Since i have a two speed powerglide dropping into low gear at about 65 just might not be very much fun.

I replaced my 40 year old shifter with a new Lokar about a year ago. It took a little bit of playing but I got the neutral safety switch adjusted and it has worked flawlessly ever since. The linkage is firm and positive, I've never experienced an accidental movement of the shift lever.

Lee_in_KC said:
I haven't either, but I have an 8" straight lever.

That's the size i plan on going with. I think Lee's explanation could be the problem.

The only problems I have with the Gennie, is wnocking it into neutral with my knee once in a while.

I used a Lokar trans mount with a 23" lever for a 700R4. What they don't tell you is that if you mount it in the extreme forward position the supplied linkage won't work. You have to buy an extra linkage kit that includes an idler lever at the rear of the trans.

I was not satisfied with the extra kit due to slop in the linkage and wound up refabricating the whole linkage setup. It took quite a lot of "experimenting" with arms and linkage to get the trans to go into all 4 forward gear positions. It works fine now, BUT, for the cost, it should have worked straight out of the box.:run:

I'm also having trouble with the neutral lockout and haven't got around to working on that.

I have not had any trouble with it jumping out of or into another gear.

Mike

LarryH said:
That's the size i plan on going with.
Well, I should have said I'm not happy with the 8". With my right foot on the gas pedal and my leg just laying in a natural position, the knob hits me right in the middle of my calf, and after awhile it's really annoying. I'd like to go to a 12" to 16".

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back