Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Low Pitman Arm

RodB

LowPitmanArm.jpg

Does anyone have an example of mounting the steering box below the frame with the Pitman arm pointing up? My newly purchased T Bucket's Pitman arm is very close to the ground. The steering column is angled so the entry is below the fire wall. I want to keep this set up as I have a wooden Model T steering wheel and it looks good.

Which steering box do I need?

Last edited:
Here is how we mount most of ours. A vega box mounted under the frame. Then the pitman arm points up.

Vegamount.jpg

Speaking of Pitman arms, I saw a scary one at the show Saturday. It was pointed down, which gave the steering rod a really downward angle. Bad part was it only cleared the pavement by about 2 1/2 inches. Now, would that be a standard Vega box or reversed to make it work. He wants to put the Pitman on top, so he will need the opposite box. Which one, standard or reversed?
Lee

The standard Vega box works with the pitman arm pointing up. As far as I know, no-one ever reverses the Vega box, only the Corvair, although it seems his must be reversed. That's seriously dangerous. If he hits a bump or something with that, disaster will follow no doubt.

Mine is just a standard box with the arm up.

I bought the Vega box on EBay with these search words "VEGA Steering Gear Box CHROME". It is not reversed. I got the Pitman arm from Speedway Motors and had it chromed. I no longer have any Bump Steer. The car handles and steers great!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back