Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Manual Trans in a T Bucket +

vstarbob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I am in the dream/planning stages of my build...

I like things different.
I would like to build a Bucket with a manual transmission and I'm wanting an I-6 (not sure if it will be Ford or Chevy yet)...
Probably 300 Ford...
I like the Ford in a Ford Idea... (I've even considered a 200/Mustang 6, but think I want more c.i.'s)

Well, I am wondering about installing a manual (prefer a T-5) in a Bucket.

Any suggestions on Info???

Thanks

It's do able, But 3 pedals are real tight. Most guys do auto trans because of lack of room.

There were 3 pedals in the original T, but the bodies set real high on the frame and there was no hump for the tranny.

well, then it looks like an auto will be the easiest and cheapest route on this one...
still shooting for a I-6

thanks for the responses

VStarBOB, welcome....RPM and TracK-T are a few of the Pros we got around here....if they say its tight...you can pretty well bet on it, it'll be hard to pull off!

Find a Bucket locally and go look at it, ask the owner if you can climb in and sit down. Tight Huh....

After you hang a gas pedal there and your brake pedal....there ain't alot of room....

Hey wanna row some gears? A manual valvebody will do the trick....and won't make you cuss near as much! And it'll definitely keep your bloodpressure down!!!!

Go to Inliners.org , there you'll find alot of your go-fast goodies, and don't forget about Cliffords Research 6=8. Those 6's can be pretty mean....cam, headers, 3x2's or 2x4's....look good and go fast doing it!

You'll find MikesPlumbing is building one too!

Vstarbob,

It can be done. One of the members on this board bobscogin has a T-5 in his '23. The following is a quote from one of his earlier posts.

"I put a T5 5 speed in my T and solved the space problem by installing the brake pedal in the usual place coming up through the floor to the "right" of the steering column, but hanging the clutch pedal under the dash using a hydraulic set up. The clutch master cylinder and pedal pivot mount to a bracket bolted to the interior side of the firewall with braces to the dash and steering column. It took a bit of work, but was worth it. A stick shift hot rod is a blast!"

I'm sure he'll see this and post some pictures.

Martin

My dad's current car has a four speed in it. There isn't a lot of room. The main thing with his, is how small the trans tunnel is. I don't know what his trans is (engine is a 289 ford), but it is a lot small than the TH350's I am used to. So the tunnel is smaller, making more foot room.

And VSTARBOB....here are a few more of our professional people saying they've got 4 and 5 speeds in theirs! Man....ya gotta love this group of rodders!

Hee-Hee.....I can't shift a 4 speed or a 5 speed fast enough to get outta a turtles way anymore....last time I was able to do that stuff was back in the 80's....I'm gonna stick to automatics, myself....

Hey....but the thing is....you won't find a better group of guys that have pretty well done-it-all! We've got one fella thats got 2 blowers on his bucket and another I believe has a tunnelram under his blower....so these guys have pretty well dine it all!

I'm putting a Tremec 5 speed in my new ride, as previously stated there isn't a lot of room, i've got my chassis/body quite low. I can see why most go for auto's but I've never owned an auto so I wanted a manual and if every car was identical it would be boring.

There's a few pictures on my build thread

http://www.tbucketee...progress-t6601/

I am in the dream/planning stages of my build...

I like things different.
I would like to build a Bucket with a manual transmission and I'm wanting an I-6 (not sure if it will be Ford or Chevy yet)...
Probably 300 Ford...
I like the Ford in a Ford Idea... (I've even considered a 200/Mustang 6, but think I want more c.i.'s)

Well, I am wondering about installing a manual (prefer a T-5) in a Bucket.

Any suggestions on Info???

Thanks

Go for it! A 300 is a good, strong motor. I am on my first bucket and will use a flathead because I like the idea of a Ford in a Ford. I also like to shift gears and went with a steel 27 body but I don't think I have room even with a little more space. A 23 would be real hard to fit a clutch feed!

If you don't have a body yet you could go for a wider body they are available.This would give you a little more room.

Got a bucket with a blown 351 Cleveland and a top loader 4 speed. It even has a mechanical linkage for the clutch pedal, so it can definitely be done. Now, there certainly is no room left with the three pedals and the steering column jutting out between them.

is it awkward having the pedals at different heights?

Not awkward at all. In static position the clutch pedal is a couple of inches rearward of the brake pedal, but that's necessitated by the fact that it requires more travel than the brake pedal. I looked at trying to put the clutch pedal and master cylinder next to the brake master cylinder, but there wasn't enough room between the frame rail and bellhousing. Then I looked at the room I had under the dash and the solution became obvious.

Bob

Not awkward at all. In static position the clutch pedal is a couple of inches rearward of the brake pedal, but that's necessitated by the fact that it requires more travel than the brake pedal. I looked at trying to put the clutch pedal and master cylinder next to the brake master cylinder, but there wasn't enough room between the frame rail and bellhousing. Then I looked at the room I had under the dash and the solution became obvious.

Bob

Thanks for the info...
Looks like I may be back in the 5 speed dreaming business...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back