Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Master cyl

skinny mike

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Bought the T already built, can't get the info I want and need. The master cylinder has a cylinder shaped reservoir with a domed top. Now, I ASSUME it's early 70's Chevy.That seem right? I think the brakes are lousy, Speedway front discs and 10 bolt diff drums rear. Later disc rear and master sound best? Man..I'm gonna end up with every thing changed or redone. But..that body...

Pictures, pictures ,pictures. It will save a lot of best guesses, we're here to help, help us.

Mike, you may just need a master cylinder upgrade...there's nothing wrong with having drum brakes on the rear with a t bucket, lots of us on this site use them.

Drums on the rear are fine. The front discs are really just for control, especially if you run skinny tires. When I got mine, it only had rear drums. It had a built 427 4 speed with a 4:56 and a spool, slicks, and only rear brakes... I totally understand having to redo everything, lol... I have a large pile of parts that I’m not using.... hey, this is supposed to be FUN! Lol.

Will try for pics but, it being in the car under the floor...same with the steering box. Do want better brakes and the T ain't light. Heavy frame, all steel.

Will try for pics but, it being in the car under the floor...same with the steering box. Do want better brakes and the T ain't light. Heavy frame, all steel.
Light opposed to what the brakes came off of. The average t is 2000 pounds or less. That’s about half of what most vehicles weigh that the components come from. With that in mind, if your 10” drum brakes and front discs are operating properly and biased right, they should be more than sufficient. I ride a bike that weighs near 1000 pounds and the brakes on it are minuscule compared to what’s on your t, mine too. I’m just making a comparison. You should have the basics for a good braking system from your description, I would concentrate on making sure they are in good condition, maybe a different master cylinder or pedal ratio and a adjustable proportioning valve?

Ok..the system might need some work (it all needs some work), Have to find out what the mc is though. I have a proportioning valve in a box but wouldn't know what to do with it. Sigh.

Typically a adjustable proportioning valve is installed on the rear brakes to allow reduction of pressure to help balance the brakes. Several folks install them on the front on t buckets to reduce front brake force to avoid locking up the skinny front tires... you may or may not need one, if you get your brakes functioning well and notice one axle locking up, you may consider installing one. Whatever works best on your build with your combination is the right way to do it. There are likely some articles in the archives, or wilwood, etc have tech articles on line.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back