Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Member-friendly forums

der Spieler

I am a member of several forums covering areas from T-buckets to beekeeping to land speed racing to just about anything automotive and/or mechanically related. A lot has been said about how friendly this forum is and how willing members are to welcome new members into the fold. Everyone of you deserve a big pat on the back and while I prepare for my next thought I want you all to reach over your shoulder and give yourself one. This is the friendliest of all of the forums I am a member.

I joined another car related forum awhile back and finally introduced myself to the multitude over the weekend. As of right now there have been 46 views of my posting over there and not one reply of welcome, shut up or get the hell out of here. I'm thinking of establishing another thread over there and making a "prick counter" and posting the score at the end of each day.

There are several groups and organizations out there whose members think they are the end all and anyone who dares encroach on their turf be damned. Thankfully this isn't one of them. I could continue on with this rant and name names but it wouldn't serve any purpose.

Thanks for being the stand up types you are, T-bucketeers...........Steve

I know exactly what you mean. I am a member of numerous sites from NTBA, Triad F-Body, Carolina Camaro and several dodge groups. None and I repeat NONE are as friendly as here and that is something to be proud of. On the othersites I've made several post and comments and nothing sometimes. Some will say hey and thats it. You ask a question and nothing. I've personally went out of the way and drove over 100 miles to meet some of these groups and felt as if I had cooties.:lol: As far as I decided the heck with them. Now for this group, I'll drive to meet.

THANK YOU everyone for being here and willing to help or listen. (Now I'll get off the soap box.:D

guys like Steve and Ace are what this forum is all about. All I can say is
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Ron

out of the forums that i am a member of, 3 or 4 that i regularly visit anyways..

this forum has the friendliest population..

this forum is the easiest to post/navigate/and post pictures in...

I prefer this forum and the people here to any other that I am a part of. When I came in here, I figured I would stay in the background and post only when it was important. After being here awhile and seeing how easy going it is, I couldn't help but to jump in with both feet. Thanks to Youngster I am now collecting parts for my next T build. That should get me motivated to get the Hudson running and my sons Willy's.

I have to agree that this is the best forum I have been on. I think someday we will get a trouble maker or two. I also believe they will be shown the door out in a hurry by many of us.

This is also my favorite forum without a doubt... filled with folks that someday I hope to have the privilege of meeting face to face. Another reason for the success of the forum in my humble option is the webmaster will NOT tolerate anything that would be deemed inappropriate, attacking, or trouble maker attitudes. One thread a while ago started to go in a direction that was not conducive to the well being of this forum... faster than you could spit, it was shut down with a stern warning... End of discussion.

Perfect!

:rock:

friendly & helpfull only problem I have is the time delay being on the other side of the world if you want to know where hop on google earth & do a serch for 'Orewa New Zealand' this is where I am walking distance from the sea as Im wirting this it is 11;03 pm on the 10/30/2008

Lots of people lurk, not many peolpe have the fortitude to actually post... and GASP disagree with someone, then the real internet tough guy stuff happens.

You gotta have thick skin for SOME automotive boards that treat you like a little red headed step brother with the constant ribbing and put downs in-the-name-of-fun type of stuff.

c cab said:
friendly & helpfull only problem I have is the time delay being on the other side of the world if you want to know where hop on google earth & do a serch for 'Orewa New Zealand' this is where I am walking distance from the sea as Im wirting this it is 11;03 pm on the 10/30/2008

You are getting ready for summer, right? Looks like a short drive to the other coast.
That whole international dateline thing is real confusing for me, it is 10:45 am on 9-30-2008 here.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It indicates we are headed in the right direction, for pretty much everyone involved.

I've seen enough forums come and go to know if you approach a site as if it is a battlefield, then that is how it will be used. And you've all proven if a site is approached as a place to share information and friendly conversation with others, then that is how it will be used.

There's nothing wrong with civil debate, so long as it remains civil. Sometimes it can even be healthy. It's when the argument reduces itself to finger-pointing and name-calling that things need to get reined in. And <touch wood> that really hasn't been a problem for us. Sure, there's no doubt the time will come, but I think you've all shown the moderating staff how you want things to be around here, so we'll all know what to do when the problems arise.

Actually, the biggest problem with this site is not always being on the defense against all manner of spats, fights and arguments (which is a relief because nobody, including me, wants to play referee all day). The biggest issue here is helping everyone get over the hump of registering and making that first post. Some of you fellows venture where angels fear to tread with respect to fabricating bits for your cars, and then you cave when it comes to turning on a computer. ;) :rock:

Setting up some tutorials on how to do things around the forums is on my list of things to do, but apparently I have not assigned it a high enough priority. One of these days, I'll get to it. I think...

Yup...This site IS the real deal! One that others would be wise to pattern themselves after. I have two HAMB members cars in the shop now. Great guys! I'm all about rods. In my shop, everyone checks their 'tudes at the door.

c cab...I am so glad to see you and your countrymen here with us. It's always nice to have a fresh perspective on our passion.

Ron

I think that when/if that problem poster comes along, the group will set them straight before Web has to get involved.

What are guys lurking on the H.A.M.B. for anyway.:rock:
You know that place is evil...:dance:

I visit the HAMB daily, even post once in a while. There is some good info over there. I also recruit while I'm there.

Ron

well
one nice thing about the hamb is that that's where I heard about the tbucketforums;)
of course, I dont spend much time on the hamb these days:D
Mike in ep

This IS one of the friendliest places on the net for sure. ;)

On occasion, I will lurk on the HAMB. But I'm way too thin skinned to participate. :eek:

David

Todd said:
You are getting ready for summer, right? Looks like a short drive to the other coast.
That whole international dateline thing is real confusing for me, it is 10:45 am on 9-30-2008 here.
yep its confusing alright but hay we are the first in the world to see the new day in & yes the hotrod season is comming quick been using the bucket as often as possable like every fine day now it takes me 5 minuts to walk to our beach about 1 hour to drive to the other coast & we are of to Te Aroha on the weekend for a show down there its a country town with its own spring water only kind in the world we are lucky down here the land is green 3 hours & I can go snow skiing in the winter water skiing in the summer New Zealand is a place worth visting all year round

We've been pretty busy in the 'back room', trying to make the site even more user-friendly. And if you've been paying close attention, you should have been seeing the forum speeding up over the last few days.

A lot of forum admins comment on how they have noticed the addition of vBSEO slowing their forums' response times down. Frankly, we didn't see that, but the decision was made to try to tune things up anyway.

We've changed the way the forum software stores avatar, userprofile and attachment images. We've added a caching script that allows large chunks of repetitive code to be served from cache, rather than you having to wait on the code to be compiled on the fly. And we've just recompiled that script with a new attribute that allows vBSEO to take advantage of the caching, as well.

I'm pretty astonished at the results. I would never have imagined we could run this efficiently. I don't know how we can possibly turn the wick up any higher, which might be a good thing. If we start running much faster, you will be getting the 'Are you sure you want to log out' message, before you even get logged in. ;)

I hope the rest of you are enjoying the faster page loads, the same as I.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back