Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

More on 4-bangers

That 4-banger with the 460 head was made by Mercruiser. The bellhousing bolt pattern matches a Chevy.
The 2.3 turbo Ford engine can produce 300 hp(some have reached 450 hp) with a few tweaks and still get over 25 mpg in a Mustang. And they're cheaper to build than a small block Chevy. I currently have one in my '84 Ranger 4X4. Wife and I will spend a Saturday putting around to garage sales in it, then hit the freeway at 70 mph for a couple of miles. It never complains or misses a lick.

Great article in the December '08 issue of R&C on using domestic 4-bangers : Quad 4, Ecotec, Duratec and Zetec engines.

I checked out quad4rods.com for their engine to tranny adapters...quite a selection but not cheap.

Still leaning toward the SBC but it's interesting to see what options are out there.

Got a banger project dancin' around in the back of my head. Hint...Steel '16 oneman roadster, a Chevette 4/4spd., Model A suspension, yada, yada, yada.....

Ron

i have built 2.3L engines for a mini stock class and mini mod class and on the dyno they put out about 190-220 hp at 7600 rpm the only thing is the compression ratio is about 10.5:1 and it will live at 7600 all day long racer

I know this is an old thread but does anyone here have any expierience with Mercruiser chevy 4s?I just picked up a 120HP chevy II type mercruiser in a boat I plan to save and mabye use in my 27 T RPU that 120HP is the valve cover claim this is the early non crossflow head chevy 4

you're gonna like he banger leon. i had one in a T with a '39 trans behind it. it ain't gonna scare ya, but it will surprise ya. i used the distributor and head with the cover and side cover polished and a pair of holley 94's on a homemade intake. blocked one carb off and it ran much better. the 230 water pump will work too. an S-10 5 speed would be really cool.

Ron

Youngster said:
you're gonna like he banger leon. i had one in a T with a '39 trans behind it. it ain't gonna scare ya, but it will surprise ya. i used the distributor and head with the cover and side cover polished and a pair of holley 94's on a homemade intake. blocked one carb off and it ran much better. the 230 water pump will work too. an S-10 5 speed would be really cool.

Ron
Ron ;
Thanks I have a few goodies I can use with the Mercruiser I have a couple early 90s S10 5 speeds along with the 4 cylinders and rears.I'm more interested in the Merc motor (no emissions testing)which means I might be able to add my paxton to the mix!

that paxton would be really interesting. please post pics as soon as you have your mock up.

Ron

My friend Ed Fitzgerald (Croozer on Ol Skool Rodz, the HAMB and Pre1973.com) builds some cool cars. His daily is a 29 Model A Sedan Delivery that was originally owned by the SuperBell company. It was built by Lil John Buttera and Boyd Coddington and painted by Kenny Youngblood. He has a mercruiser 4cyl (chevy 2 variant) Make sure you get the flywheel/flexplate as its balanced with the motor and will make your life easier at least in the short term. He adapted an HEI from SOMETHING. I'll get you the details and some pics. He did some milling to the head and some port work and figures it makes a lil over 200hp. He has an S10 t5 behind it. There were a couple small snags but nothing unexpected. I'll track him down and see if he can make me a shopping list for you

Nate

Heres what Ed said:

Make sure it has a chevy bellhousing mount, I used a 64/65 nova clutch 168 tooth, I can send pic of mechanical clutch linkage. There is a provision in the block for the clutch ball but it was in the wrong spot so I made a mount out of flat stock and bolted it to the engine, welded a nut on the other end and screwed the ball into that. This allows the use of stock pedals.

the EASY WAY: 1.5" billet plate between trans and bellhousing. Find a shop to do this and life is easy. If cost is a concern, option 2 becomes your friend

Take the input shaft and cut it down to fit, maybe 3/4" and move the splines back into the shaft about 1.5". I made a jig and used my sidecutter to cut the splines but you could easily take it to a machine shop and have it done for a few bucks. Take collar for the throwout bearing and trim maybe 1.5" off as well. you have to sneak up on it so make more than 1 cut...trim it down slowly. and test fit. You need to check your shifter position too. The shifter I had was basically a piece of roundbar with some threads, easy to heat and bend or get one of those adjustable shifters in the hotrod mag.

If I remember correctly back around 62 Pontiac took their 389 V-8 and cut the left bank off making a 4 cylinder for the Tempest. The nice part was it used all the V-8's parts and I believe they offered a version with a 4 barrel that make some pretty good power.

TheAntiBoyd said:
My friend Ed Fitzgerald (Croozer on Ol Skool Rodz, the HAMB and Pre1973.com) builds some cool cars. His daily is a 29 Model A Sedan Delivery that was originally owned by the SuperBell company. It was built by Lil John Buttera and Boyd Coddington and painted by Kenny Youngblood. He has a mercruiser 4cyl (chevy 2 variant) Make sure you get the flywheel/flexplate as its balanced with the motor and will make your life easier at least in the short term. He adapted an HEI from SOMETHING. I'll get you the details and some pics. He did some milling to the head and some port work and figures it makes a lil over 200hp. He has an S10 t5 behind it. There were a couple small snags but nothing unexpected. I'll track him down and see if he can make me a shopping list for you

Nate
Hey Nate thanks!
I drifted here from the HAMB myself I have everything for the Mercruiser it's still in the boat(Anybody want a free Fiberglass boat hull +trailer?:) I had to haul the whole mess home but it was "free"it was used for parts from the stern drive.I've wanted a ChevyII 4 for a heck of a long time because of a Chevy II that was a drag car out here in the late 60s the "Mystery 4" that guy would race anything right on the highway infront of his gas station I was there one night when a guy in a hemi powered 37 ford pick up losdt to him that night it was 500$ or titles I got to hold the 1,000 during the race

great info guys, thanks much.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back