Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Mounting So-Cal Steering Damper

Six-Shooter

Any ideas on how to attach a So-Cal steering damper from the tie rod (easy connection here) to passenger side split wishbone radius rod? Thanks!

Yep, I will be doing the same thing. Simply weld a tab on the wishbone just aft of the tie rod so when you turn the stabilizer stays sort of in a level plane. You will want the tab mounted so the bolt goes up and down, not sideways. Just a simple tab from 1/4 inch steel, or even 3/16 will get it done. You are going to love the handling difference, we have them on all 3 cars we own, soon to be 4 cars.

Don

Yep, I will be doing the same thing. Simply weld a tab on the wishbone just aft of the tie rod so when you turn the stabilizer stays sort of in a level plane. You will want the tab mounted so the bolt goes up and down, not sideways. Just a simple tab from 1/4 inch steel, or even 3/16 will get it done. You are going to love the handling difference, we have them on all 3 cars we own, soon to be 4 cars.

Don
Thanks!!! Any close-up pictures of the tab?

I haven't gotten that far yet in the build, but I did order and get the stabilizer already. All that you have to do is first clamp the skinny end of the stabilizer to a spot on the tie rod where it is at about half travel when the wheels are straight ahead and the other end is almost touching the wishbone. Then take a piece of 3/16 or 1/4 thick strap steel about an inch and a half wide x about another inch and a half, drill the correct size hole in one end to accept the bolt that goes through the stabilizer, and weld the tab to the wishbone so it is in a horizontal plane (so the bolt goes down from the top or up from the bottom, not sideways) Pick a spot to weld on the tab where it allows the tie rod to swing freely. and that is usually just behind the tie rod. I always round the one end of a tab for cosmetics, but it isn't really needed.

Tell you what I'll do, I will mock up mine probably tomorrow and shoot some pictures to help illustrate what I mean. I'll post them in the next day or two.

Don

I've got the el-cheapo version (made for a VW, but no cool SoCal sticker) mounted. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them. Wait. I might have some pics posted already... how about this?

2076456706_22a795665a_z.jpg

or this?

2076456670_9401df71a7_z.jpg

Ok, I follow you. Sounds really simple. Fasion and weld a tab to the inside of the passenger side wishbone just behind the tie rod. This tab will support one end of the steering damper similar to the way a bracket on a door jamb suppport one end of a storm door closer. Gotcha ya! Thanks!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back