Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Need Help!

throttleroller

I am new to this forum, and T-buckets to be honest. :cool: I am a Motorcycle roadracer, so I don't know much about this stuff.

So I could use a litttle help and advise!
I recently purchased a 23' T-Bucket for cheap, it runs and looks ok, but that is not good enough for me.

My first questions are in regards to Motor and Driveline:

It has a 302 in it, but I don't know what gears the rearend has in it. I do know that it is a Ford rear end, but I have no idea what it came out of. How do I identify what I have?

Should I stay with the 302, or change to a 351?

I look forward to hearing from you guys, just as I am looking forward to another fun project...outside of the bike racing stuff!!

Welcome to the forum!

I found this method and it seems to work. I've done it to mine and I've heard of others who have done it.

If it's not a 'posi', jack up one wheel, count the number of revolutions of the wheel to make the input shaft turn one revolution and divide by two. eg: 6 turns = 3.00:1 ratio. If it's a 'posi', Jack both wheels off ground and do the same thing. Since both wheels turn in this case, the ratio is whatever number of turns of the wheel it takes to turn the input shaft once. eg: 3 turns = 3.00:1 ratio.

As for which engine to use? Well, that depends on you. I'm a Chevy guy myself, but I guess a Ford would do. If it was the end of the world and nothing else was available!:lol:

302 or 351? hummmmm.......How fast do you wanna go?

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the T-Bucket club! I am a biker myself so T's are kind of the best of both worlds. Hot rod with the wind in your face feel of a bike. Anyway, as for advice, I am a chevy guy also, so I have a 350 in mine, but I understand the guys who want all Ford parts. The best advice I can give is to prioritize your needs / wants and go from there. I will say that Chevy parts are easier to find and usually cheaper IMO. I may be totally wrong in saying that, but just my experience in working on race cars and hot rods with both Fords and Chevys. Anyway, good luck and let us know what we can do to help.

WELCOME TO THE BOARD AND WELCOME TO TBUCKETIN [IF ITS A WORD] I RUN FORD 351 IN FORD T BUCKET. THE SMALLER FORD IS A GREAT ENGINE BUT WHEN IT COMES TO SHOWIN OFF THE 351 CLEVELAND IS HARD TO BEAT i aint hollerin just didnt look up to see the caps sorry.if u goto the 351 make it the cleveland bigger engine and a ton of torgue. i have a top loader 4 sp behind it and love it. u didnt say where u were from so tell us and postpics. there are alot of informative tbucketeers on this site and will assist u in anyway they can mike

Thanks for all your inputs. I appreciate it.

This may sound like a Stupid question (again), but does a 302 and 351 use the same Motormount configuration, and trany?

Obviously all of us always want to go faster, all the time. But i have (2) 302 engines, both with tranys. And to my understanding one can build a 302 to be quite Bad A$$. My thoughts are to leave the 302 that is in the car so I can continue to drive it, and build the other 302 on the side, and then just swap them out when done.

But if a 351 will be a direct swap as well?....maybe I'll go that route.

As for a little about myself:
I live in Denver, CO, have for my whole life. I Roadrace motorcycles, Yamaha R-6 and Yamaha R-1, feel free to check out my web page. I am 30 years old. When I was a teenager I was into the muscle cars and such, but when I got into the bikes I pretty much left the cars behind. But I have always wanted to get back into it but never had the money, well....I guess I put my money in other places:razz:!
So here I am. I found this T-bucket for really cheap, but it needs a lot of help. (I will post photos soon) As said before the motor is a 302, bone stock, C-4 trany. Has a Ford Rear End, but I need to check the ratio. It has drum brakes in the front, which I definetely want to change out to disc. I do drive the car quite a bit when I am in town. But like I said... I am mainly a motorcycle guy, so i don't know much about what motors mount the same, and what motors use what tranys, so on so forth. I can do the work and wrenching, but I need your help with knowledge.

a coworker at my old job had a T with a warmed over 305 in it. the first time he really opened it up he almost flipped it over backwards, and had the pavement marks on the back bumper to prove it. it doesnt take much power to make a T fast ...

needless to say, his next car after that had wheelie bars on it

Lowrollerchevy said:
a coworker at my old job had a T with a warmed over 305 in it. the first time he really opened it up he almost flipped it over backwards, and had the pavement marks on the back bumper to prove it. it doesnt take much power to make a T fast ...

Needless to say, his next car after that had wheelie bars on it

Yup, these cars WILL pull the tires. I was playing with mine today and I got an inch of air.:eek: I was too busy havin' fun to care, but it for sure got my attention.

Personally, I'd like to see a 351 done up. I always had a soft heart for them when I was into Mustangs for a couple years. My brother had a '70 Cougar with a 351 Cleveland and it responded well to low budget mods.

Since you have two 302's I would do the same thing drive, rebuild and swap.
Which engines do you have? If its a HO build it they romp that all the power you will need

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back