Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

new builder

Thomas McKimm

I have a 27 steel body tub and bed I was wondering if anyone has ever set the frame into the body so it don't show the frame and if they did how do you set the bed on and make it look good? pics would be a lot of help

The term for what you want to do with the frame is "channeling". When you do that, the frame goes up into the body and the floor is raised to accommodate that. On a pick up box the same holds true but if you do it that way the inside of the box becomes VERY shallow. I would suggest that you set the box on top of the frame and enclose the frame rails below the box with a rolled pan. That way you'd be able to mount the tail lights and license plate on the rear of the pan. This has been done on many rods in the past. Below is a photoshopped rendering of my car made into what I believe you want to accomplish.

Jim

Hey: That looks darn good.

That was to be my younger son's ride. My older son made the proposal using the molds from the building of my car. However, as luck would have it, Rob was diagnosed with a brain tumor on his brain stem and required surgery. After a long recovery period he ended up with no job and a lot of problems that he is trying to conquer. Thus, the pick up is not to be but when I die he'll get my roadster which he loves. ( I hope that he has a long, long wait! ) LOL

Jim

The term for what you want to do with the frame is "channeling". When you do that, the frame goes up into the body and the floor is raised to accommodate that. On a pick up box the same holds true but if you do it that way the inside of the box becomes VERY shallow. I would suggest that you set the box on top of the frame and enclose the frame rails below the box with a rolled pan. That way you'd be able to mount the tail lights and license plate on the rear of the pan. This has been done on many rods in the past. Below is a photoshopped rendering of my car made into what I believe you want to accomplish.

thanks a bunch for the help. I have some blue prints for the frame if I wish to channel the body do you think I should drop the rear part of the frame down some so that the bed still sits on top of the frame so not to make it too shallow?

No, just the opposite! The frame needs to kick up to clear the rear end like this:
rear%2520end%2520no%2520body.jpg

Typical T beds are maybe only 12" to 18" in depth.

Thomas, if you look closely at the picture I posted you'll see that the bed is raised from a stock mounting position. It looks better that way and you are retaining the stock depth of the pick up box. That is what I suggested in my original post. If you'll reread it you'll also see that I suggested that you hide the exposed frame rails with a rolled pan that will enable you to have a place to mount the tail lights and license plate rather than on the tailgate.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back