Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New Guy Death Wobble

SSpev

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
buffering up post to post pics. AND
My T is violent when I hit a bump. Was worse. I've added more toe and positive caster.
Nothing seems to be worn or loose. Hasn't been licensed sense 91.
HELP. I been reading all over,

Each individual bucket seems to have its own unique requirements. Some require toe in. Some seem to work better with toe out.
Different air pressure seems to make a difference. More or less.
I shouldn't be the one to give advise. I cant seem to get my bucket not to wander. 40 years of adjusting every damn thing I can adjust! Still wanders!
Originally, I did have the death wobble after I hit a bump. It'll scare the crap out of you! Caster, toe and air pressure took care of that.

You've already gotten some good advice, here was my experience:

Started out w/ 11 degrees caster, 1/8" toe in, 20 PSI in 155/15 fronts. Terrible death wobble after bump, even at low speed.

Now at 8 degrees caster, 1/8" toe OUT, 28 PSI, seems to have corrected the issue. Not sure which provided most benefit.

G'Day SSPev,
Could I be so bold as to suggest a new set of front shocks along with the suggested adjustments. It's all about control and you need the best pair of shocks on there that will give you that control. If you can compress and extend the shocks reasonably easily by hand they're not doing anything on the car.
Regards,

I have thought about the shocks they are OLD. Haven't tried to change anything lately. It seem to have stopped till I went on the highway to day... there is was at about 60. came out of it at 40.

If it was okay when parked, I would suggest, as already noted, to suspect tires and shocks to begin with. If the shocks have seals leaking from age and tires have flat spots or cord shift from age, that will create horrible driving conditions. If you feel the need to start adjusting on it, keep a record of the changes and results to help dial it in.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back