Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New member looking to start a speedway build.

diiaa36

Hello everyone,

I am looking at doing a speedway 1927 kit build. Ive never done a whole car before but am comfortable with working on cars.
My only real concern is that I am 6'6 but the tech guys told me if i do a bomber style seat kpunted to the floor I should be okayish.

Some other goals of the build is use the usual drivetrain set up with a sbc350/th350 tranny but i want a manual valve body for the th350. I am also a big fan of the sound 18p degree headers make and going to see if they can some how fit onto the sbc. I cant do any welding but have a shop near by that can help.

Otherwise i am going to follow the speedway assembly manual to the t on hopes that itll help me build it without too much figuring things out.

Id gladly take any feedback or opinions.

Thanks

Some other goals of the build is use the usual drivetrain set up with a sbc350/th350 tranny
If you think you will doing any highway driving, consider a OD trans, such as a 700-R4 or the 200-4R trans. Depending on how you build your 350 SBC, the trans will require some beefing up for anything other than stock thou. But you will find cruising on the highway much nicer. I'm only turning 1900 rpm at 70 mph with a 31 inch rear tire and have gotten 21 mpg at 70 mph. This kind of decision is much easier done now, then trying to modify the frame later.

BTW, welcome to the forum from Oklahoma !

I have a Model A with a full manual 700R4, I really like the full manual part, almost never use overdrive, and that is with 4.45 rear end gears. I should also say that I spend as little time on the freeway as possible. My T-bucket has 3.90 rear end gears with a th350 and I feel that is fine for my limited time on the freeway. Granted my gas mileage is closer to 10 than 20, but I don't worry much about it. As to the seating, I have upholstered bomber seats in a stretched body and at 5' 9" tall I find it to be a little tighter than I would really like. In my case the upholstering does add about 2" to the depth of the seat and there is also an inch or so of upholstery behind the seat. The length of the steering column will have something to do with comfort as well. If you can, go to car shows or gatherings and ask to sit in other people's cars. Most will be happy to let you.

If you think you will doing any highway driving, consider a OD trans, such as a 700-R4 or the 200-4R trans. Depending on how you build your 350 SBC, the trans will require some beefing up for anything other than stock thou. But you will find cruising on the highway much nicer. I'm only turning 1900 rpm at 70 mph with a 31 inch rear tire and have gotten 21 mpg at 70 mph. This kind of decision is much easier done now, then trying to modify the frame later.

BTW, welcome to the forum from Oklahoma !
Thats some good fyi. Thanks. The sbc willbe stock so not power hungry but havent considered tranny gearing.

The OD trans will allow you to run a mid to high 3.x series rear end gear. If you have a 2.x rear gear, then your rpm might be too low even at 70 mph. The 200-4R has a slightly better OD (4th Gear) compared to the 700R4.
700-R4 = 0.70 : 1
200-4R = 0.67 : 1

TireSize_RPM-Calcs01-1.jpg
TireSize_RPM-Calcs01-2.jpg

Welcome to Tbucketeers! Great place to hang out and ask questions. Speedway offers well engineered products, but the builder obviously makes a big difference in the outcome. I love the look of a well-done '27, and if you achieve the right stance a '27 is right up there with the '30's roadsters for coolness in my book! Here's one I think looks cool . . .

Cool 27b.jpg

I wish I could buy one of their kits. I have never been able to stack up enough money to do that. I have to do it one part at a time.

Welcome from Washington State. I have a 700R4 in my bucket and love it. Car has 4.10 gear and overdrive is on a manual switch. Hiway at 65 is 1900. 350, dual quads, cam etc. so milage sucks and I am heavy on the throttle.

Welcome from Washington State. I have a 700R4 in my bucket and love it. Car has 4.10 gear and overdrive is on a manual switch. Hiway at 65 is 1900. 350, dual quads, cam etc. so milage sucks and I am heavy on the throttle.
That's a pretty tall rear tire at 33 inches!

upload_2023-5-4_15-35-6.png

No need to apologize, I wasn't expecting anything but a guessimate! I was just curious what size tire you were running, so I used my calculator to figure it out. Was the number about right at 33 inches?

Now I have to rethink my whole post. As I recall my Mickey Thompsons are no where near 33 in. Will have to measure when I get home. I think only about 27 in. or so. Maybe I was dreaming about RPM. Or better yet just enjoying my fourth build of a bucket at 79.

Now I have to rethink my whole post. As I recall my Mickey Thompsons are no where near 33 in. Will have to measure when I get home. I think only about 27 in. or so.
I have MT also and it's right on the sidewall 31x16.00 R15LT. I always thought I had a 3.70 rear gear ratio for 30 years, until I had the 3rd member out and counted the teeth, lo and behold I had 3.55 ratio.

How did you come to think you had a 4.10 ratio ???

Bought car unassembled with a million boxes and parts. Rearend is a 7.5 GM posi unit. After building then driving the car I felt rearend gears were to low. Removed them and found 4.56. I changed it to 4.10, much better. Now I have a ring and pinion with about 40 miles on it for sale.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back