Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

o2 Sensor Headers and Exhaust question

spartacus

I'm debating on putting on an EFI and my only question is if there are Headers with built-in o2 sensors that look decent or other solutions? Yes, I know some will say just keep it carb, but I would love to hear from some experienced people who have done Fuel Injection before. Something like a Holley Sniper or a JEGS system. I have thought about using the Hedman 22126 3 in. Ball & Socket O2 Sensor Header Reducer but I'm not too sure how they work or which headers they are good on? The last resort would be to simply weld it onto the headers or use the ugly bung kit. And, I assume doing any of this would rule out Boom Headers right?

I have not seen anyone selling t-bucket headers with an o2 sensor already installed, however an o2 sensor bung can easily be welded to a collector or tube. You can find them online for as little as $6. Here is a few pictures of o2 sensors on a set of t-bucket headers.

P1170180.jpgP1170918.jpg

You don’t have to rule out the Boom, Weed burner or Zoomie style headers.

IMG_3624.JPGIMG_3704.JPG

While you can use an o2 sensor in a single tube of the header, it’s no longer thought to be the best choice. In the last few years, since the NHRA Pro Mod class began using EFI, there has been a lot of testing on zoomie headers equipped with o2 sensors. The majority of the pro mod motors use zoomie headers with an o2 sensor on each header that attaches to an o2 sniffer tube.

A sniffer tube is typically on the bottom or back side and is attached to each header tube. The o2 sensor is then attached to the sniffer tube. It acts similar to a collector and gets a better reading for the computer instead of pulling information from just 1 or 2 cylinders. Here are 3 examples of using a o2 sniffer tube.

Screen Shot 03-28-24 at 02.15 PM.JPGScreen Shot 03-28-24 at 02.16 PM.JPGScreen Shot 03-28-24 at 05.57 PM.JPG

I have not seen anyone selling t-bucket headers with an o2 sensor already installed, however an o2 sensor bung can easily be welded to a collector or tube. You can find them online for as little as $6. Here is a few pictures of o2 sensors on a set of t-bucket headers.

View attachment 24966View attachment 24967

You don’t have to rule out the Boom, Weed burner or Zoomie style headers.

View attachment 24971View attachment 24972

While you can use an o2 sensor in a single tube of the header, it’s no longer thought to be the best choice. In the last few years, since the NHRA Pro Mod class began using EFI, there has been a lot of testing on zoomie headers equipped with o2 sensors. The majority of the pro mod motors use zoomie headers with an o2 sensor on each header that attaches to an o2 sniffer tube.

A sniffer tube is typically on the bottom or back side and is attached to each header tube. The o2 sensor is then attached to the sniffer tube. It acts similar to a collector and gets a better reading for the computer instead of pulling information from just 1 or 2 cylinders. Here are 3 examples of using a o2 sniffer tube.

View attachment 24968View attachment 24969View attachment 24970
Great info, Bill!

There is no getting around the required wires and connections if you go injection. You will have to be creative in application and placement to avoid the ugly perception. Doable.

Made a cover for mine to tidy it up.

o2 sensor cover (13) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC) (2021_01_12 08_56_11 UTC).JPG
o2 sensor cover (1) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC) (2021_01_12 08_56_11 UTC).JPGO2 sensor in pipe.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work, Gerry. Your T is so cooool! Would you mind posting some pictures of your completed car?

Last edited:
When you install the O2 sensor it must be at least 18 inches from the end of the header. If not then you will get false readings from the air that is pulled back in during reversion. If it's borderline, then it may read incorrectly at lower rpm and correctly at higher rpm. Holley recommends 18-24 inches.

It also should be installed in the top 180° of the collector to keep water condensation from collecting inside the sensor.

You guys are freakin' AWESOME! Thank you so much for all the responses and help. I couldn't do this without you all. Hopefully I can return the favor to others one day.

That's the beauty of a forum like this; no one person has all the answers, but as a group, our experiences cover a vast amount of knowledge which we can share. Love you all!

Dog hug.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back