Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Oil pan?

KGH

Have a 23 T Bucket with a 350 short block.. Would like to put a low profile oil pan in it.. Has anyone done this or point me in a direction. Any Help would be Much Appreciated!!! THANKS!!!

First of all, welcome! Are you trying to gain additional ground clearance? These folks have many types of oil pans and can even build one to your specifications.

Last edited:
Have a 23 T Bucket with a 350 short block.. Would like to put a low profile oil pan in it.. Has anyone done this or point me in a direction. Any Help would be Much Appreciated!!! THANKS!!!
Thanks Much Spanky!!!

If you are worried about hitting speed bumps or something like that you might want to look at Slam-Guard pans.

I've used this Canton oil pan.

Look for a Road Race type pan, it's all about getting th car down low.

I've used this Canton oil pan.

Look for a Road Race type pan, it's all about getting th car down low.

Thank You IndyCars!
I go to car shows and run around with other Friends to different events. I do not race but if Yours work fine I’ll order it…
So You use the road race one for different things other then road racing? Again; Thank You!!

Thank You IndyCars!
I go to car shows and run around with other Friends to different events. I do not race but if Yours work fine I’ll order it…
So You use the road race one for different things other then road racing? Again; Thank You!!
I checked out the oil pan and it says it’s for 1986 and up.. My Chevy SB is a 1971 - 350.. I will call them and see.. Thanks!!

Sure, if it works for the road racers, it will work for you on the street. It's going to be pricey.

The pan that I used is for a two piece rear main seal. You will want to make sure it's the correct pan for your application. Use a one-piece gasket.

I would also put some high temp magnets in the pan. Four or five 1/2" magnets would be good, I also put them in the engine valley.

I put one of these on the bottom of the oil filter.

Last edited:
Sure, if it works for the road racers, it will work for you on the street. It's going to be pricey.

The pan that I used is for a two piece rear main seal. You will want to make sure it's the correct pan for your application. Use a one-piece gasket.

I would also put some high temp magnets in the pan. Four or five 1/2" magnets would be good, I also put them in the engine valley.

I put one of these on the bottom of the oil filter.

Indycars! Is your motor a 350 sb Chevy between 1969 and 1979? If so - wouldn’t the one you have fit mine? Thanks!!!

Indycars! Is your motor a 350 sb Chevy between 1969 and 1979? If so - wouldn’t the one you have fit mine? Thanks!!!
No, I used an after market block manufactured by Dart , model was DartSHP. It's a 400 CuIn SBC. If your block was made in 1960"s, then it must be a 2 piece rear main seal.

DSC01191.jpg
PaintingValley_1219.jpg

But there is one more dimension that is needed to get the right pan gasket .... sorry if this is confusing. We can get the right one with a few questions and answers.

You will want to confirm which gasket you need. Read the article below, but I have included the important text from that article. Let us know what dimension you get and then we can go from there.

If you are not sure of the original application or model year of the oil pan you plan to use for your small block Chevy build, you can take two simple measurements to determine the correct oil pan gasket needed. By measuring the width and depth of the front seal area you can confirm if the oil pan in question uses a thick or thin oil pan gasket.
  • Thin oil pan gasket will measure 5-1/2-inch wide and 2-1/4-inch deep
  • Thick oil pan gasket will measure 5-3/4-inch wide and 2-3/8-inch deep
Are you assembling the engine or having it done ???

No, I used an after market block manufactured by Dart , model was DartSHP. It's a 400 CuIn SBC. If your block was made in 1960"s, then it must be a 2 piece rear main seal.

View attachment 25386
View attachment 25387

But there is one more dimension that is needed to get the right pan gasket .... sorry if this is confusing. We can get the right one with a few questions and answers.

You will want to confirm which gasket you need. Read the article below, but I have included the important text from that article. Let us know what dimension you get and then we can go from there.

If you are not sure of the original application or model year of the oil pan you plan to use for your small block Chevy build, you can take two simple measurements to determine the correct oil pan gasket needed. By measuring the width and depth of the front seal area you can confirm if the oil pan in question uses a thick or thin oil pan gasket.
  • Thin oil pan gasket will measure 5-1/2-inch wide and 2-1/4-inch deep
  • Thick oil pan gasket will measure 5-3/4-inch wide and 2-3/8-inch deep
Are you assembling the engine or having it done ???
When I bought it 2 months ago it runs great but I just can’t get past the oil pan being so low…. It’s the thin gasket…. Thanks for all Your Help!!!! KGH

You will have to take the pan off but you could add extra plate like .120 (11 gauge) or even a piece of angle iron on the front edge of the sump.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back