Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

OINO's Spirit Build

one finger john

Good morning and how is everyone ? Went over to oino's house yesterday to see his T and to talk about VINs and such. First off I wasn't expecting too much after seeing the pictures posted here. And really, blue tarps and mud just do not engender a feeling of a Chip Foose or Boyd Coddington atmosphere for building anything other than a shed. That's right, The car is out in the elements, God's own dirt for a floor, and a big blue tarp over the whole affair. oino would probably kill for a concrete slab. With the rains that we have had in the past week, the ground was sufficiently muddy to alllow the rolling frame to sink almost to the oil pan !
That was when the car was between the shed and the chain link fence. There was only about three feet of clearence there (side to side) so by the time I came and visited the car had been moved to infront of the shed and the ground it sat apon was still very moist from the previous rain (along with the blue tarp providing constant shade). Oh, did I mention that when it is done a section of the backyard fence will have to come down and the car will be driven into the neighbors back yard and down their driveway.
So what is the car like ? Spirit frame and front end, s-10 rear end, 350/350 set up, Spirit std. size body, no bed, you might say the usual. The ONLY welding done was for rear end brackets. That's it. The rest has been bolt together or drilling holes and bolting together. With the rattle can black semigloss frame and rear end/front end it looks GOOD. White wheels set it off. I used to do classic MG restorations and I have to tell you that this had the same basic, well thought out air to it the those restorations had. I was becoming impressed. And right now, as I speak, all the systems are installed and functioning. Just needs to put the body on, find a steering coloumn, and do the electrical wiring and it is a done deal.
oino (I won't use his real name until he uses it here) is an intelligent, wonderfully easy person to talk to. No secrets. Everything he has done and what his budget has been he will tell you. And believe me, this guy is a scrounger par excellence. If he has more than $7,00 total into it I'll be surprised. And believe me, it will look good. And it will be safe. And it will be able to be driven anywhere. He and Fred could swap stories.
All and all, I learned a lot, met a really nice person, and got more incentive to build one of these things.

John

That sounds good. I can relate to not having a lot of room to work with. I lost the shop space a friend had let me use for my rebuild, so I had to work in my driveway. It sucked, but it's all I had. I still keep it under plastic and a car cover. I can't even imagine having to work in the dirt. Just goes to show that motivation and innovation conquers all. I can't wait to see pics of her.

Sounds like you had a good time. :rolleyes:
I can relate to the "open air" garage.
This is my work area (outside my brother's little old and crowded 1-car garage). I can use it but have to drag the thing in and out when I'm done for the time I work on it. Thankfully it's "roll-able" now.

Attachments

• p_00170.jpg
    p_00170.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 53
Nice to see your progress Giz

Ron

I can remember when I decided to get into this madness and how I figured out a budget. I stopped buying lunch everyday and started buying hot dogs and buns at the grocers. I ate hot dogs for lunch for 2 years! I stopped going to movies. I caught the bus to save gas money. I called my cable company and dropped all the movie channels and went to the basic setup. Took me 2 1/2 months to save up for the bare frame. Took another 4 months to save up for the front suspension! The only break I got was from a girl I have known for a while. We had dated, but broke up and remained friends. She paid for the powdercoating on Miss Behavin'. That was a God send.

But in the long run, it's going through those sacrifices that made owning a hot rod all the more valuable. The day I decided to get going came after a phone call from my brother. He was stationed in San Diego and we were just shooting the crap. I mentioned an article in Hot Rod magazine and what he told me got me fired up. He said, "Man, you need to stop wasting your money on the books and build one!" I took that as a dare and never looked back.

So for OINO and every other person struggling, I say keep at it! It is worth it. Anybody can go and buy a hot rod off eBay, but when you build it yourself, it's YOURS. It's got a soul. It's a part of YOU. Made in YOUR image. You may not ever build another, but this one is the one that will stay with you forever. I take great pride in knowing the when, where, what and how's of Miss Behavin'. When I got a part. Where I was. What knuckle I scrapped. And how happy I was when something worked.

So when you get done, and you will, take that first drive. All those days will smash into one. And the biggest smile you probably ever had, other than the birth of a child, will creep across your mug. You'll be floating through all the folks in thier "sheep-mobiles" and you'll stop at a light and someone will look and comment. THEN you'll know that it was all worth while. :hooray: Wow, another rant. :rolleyes:

OINO I dig it, man. I get it.

<

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back