Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Old topic welders

akitagandy

Alright guys I need a mig welder for sheet metal up to say 1/4" , I have a stick welder for heavy stuff but I will only have about $300 to spend so I am looking at Harbor Frieght What do you think?
93793.gif

For use with or without gas. Preset for gasless flux-core operation.

Welds material from 22 gauge to 1/4'' thick
Thermal overload protection with warning light
Adjustable wire feed control
Wheel kit for maximum portability

Comes with welding torch, 1.0 and 0.8 tips, grounding cord with clamp, brush/hammer, hand held welding mask, carrying handle and wheel kit; Input: 230V, 60 Hz, single phase; Welding current range: 35-140 amps (working), 160 amps maximum, Duty cycle: 100% @ 35 amps,18% @ 140 amps; Draws 25 amps @ 230V; Max. open circuit voltage: 20V; Weldable wires: 0.023 to 0.03 0 inch steel and stainless steel; 0.030 to 0.035 inch flux core and aluminum
Tool weight: 93.5 lbs.

It'll work but I'd rather see 180 amp (working). You will never regret spending more money on a bigger machine.

Ron

I dont want to be the negitive voice here but i have never bought a darn thing that was electric from HF worth hauling home. Try to find an outlet for century if you can they are a lowercost welder (sears). My neighbor has one for several years and uses it quite a bit. Hobart has a homeline 115A that may fall in your price range . Get a 220 volt model if you can.

I cannot speak as to the quality of a Harbor Freight welder. However, I can tell you to buy as much as you can afford, and if a name-brand (Lincoln/Hobar/Miller) can be had within reason, get one. Parts availability at some point may come into play. Make sure it has infinite heat and infinite speed capability. Couldn't tell if it came with the regulator. I know it said it could be used either with gas or gasless, but if it doesn't come with the regulator, then I recommend to look elsewhere. By the time you pick up the regulator, you're in the neighborhood of a name brand unit. Just looked at the website and it appears to not come with it. Night and day difference when welding with gas. Depending on their return policy, it might be worth a shot.

While I can't say anything about the quality of newer Century products, my Century MIG is approximately 18 years old. No complaints. I'd be looking at a Millermatic 140 or 180 if I had to replace it tomorrow.

i worked for Tweco for a couple of years and i know the smaller hobart welders had century transformers in them . I have only owned Lincoln but if i had limited funds for a tool i wouldnt rule them out (Century).MR T is right the flux core wire will work but having the regulator is a big plus.

I bought a Chicago Electric 185 from HF about 10 years ago and weld everything I need with it. Burned up about 20 rolls of wire and no problems yet. I use Gas all the time. I am not an expert but I can make it stick and stay together. I have a stick welder from Sears about 25 years ago and built lots of things still standing today.

Yes I would like to have a brand name machine but I don't have a problem with the two I have right now.Just my 2 cents worth and it may not be worth that much.

18% duty cycle at 140 amps isn't very good. I'd look for a 180 amp Miller or Lincoln. How about a used one?

I bought a Chicago Electric 185 from HF about 10 years ago and weld everything I need with it. Burned up about 20 rolls of wire and no problems yet. I use Gas all the time. I am not an expert but I can make it stick and stay together. I have a stick welder from Sears about 25 years ago and built lots of things still standing today.

Yes I would like to have a brand name machine but I don't have a problem with the two I have right now.Just my 2 cents worth and it may not be worth that much.
Likewise I have stuck a lot of steel together with an Italian Chicago Electric.On gas only

I buy lots of welding stuff from a place in CA. No TAX and free freight over 50.00. It is called Ramm Sales. They have a internet site and will send a free catalog. I've bought welders, plazma cutters, welding rod (aluminum), and comsumables. Best price that I've ever found. weelstang

Well I once had a signature picture. Who knows where its at now. OHHHHHHHHHH well stuff happens. I can never get pictures right anyway. Ya'll enjoy your buckets. weelstang

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back