Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Opinions on TCI Transmissions?

Mark23T

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
After breaking a U-joint last weekend then having a new driveshaft built, I was out on a test drive marveling at how smooth and vibration free the car was now (the old driveshaft turned out to be junk), so I decided to open her up and run through the gears. At about 5K in 1st, it felt like someone pushed in the clutch pedal (which it doesn't have) or it fell out of gear. No forward gears. Forward clutch was done. At least I had reverse to back it the couple of blocks home. lol

I've been close to pulling the trigger on a new Blueprint roller 350 (my motor is tired), then this little bugaboo thwarted my plans. With roughly that same budget in mind, I started loading a shopping cart around a new Chevrolet Performance 350/290 crate motor and various trans/converter combos.

I've landed on a TCI "Street Rodder" TH350 and a TCI 2000rpm converter (I've read TCI only warrants the trans when using their converter). Suggested stall for that motor is 1800-2200rpm, so this falls right in the middle. With flexplate, damper and fluids, this falls close to my budget.

My concern is the number of bad reviews I'm seeing on TCI TH350's. Leaked, broke, etc... Granted, people who are "satisfied" are less likely to run to their computer to do a review than those who had no issues, but I'm hoping for a little reassurance here. There WERE more positive reviews than bad, but still plenty reporting leaks, etc...

Have any of you had experience with a TCI TH350? What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

You are probably going to get what you pay for from any large transmission company. I almost bought a TCI for my last T-bucket, but a friend who does nothing but transmissions told me that for the money Hughes was better. That was 10 years ago, so far that trans is working fine.

Have yours rebuilt locally. Then you want have to beg to get it fixed or wait on it very long. JMTCW

Reactions: RPM
I agree with what others have said. Back in the day I used a lot of TCI parts in my shorty glide transmission's in my race car's. Back then B&M and TCI were the big name go to companies for HP applications. I no longer think this is true and have fallen in to the big company pitfalls of less than stellar service & parts. That being said I have used B&M transmissions in my last 2 cars BUT I will not do it again. These days their are plenty of reputable local shops that can provide equal or in some cases a better product and if there is an issue it's much easier to get the problem corrected. JM2C

Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of lesser reviews of the Street Rodder series come from guys who bought the lower priced transmission, and then put it behind a lot more power than it's intended for, or cars that weigh a lot more than a T.

Like the others have said, if you have a good trans shop locally, have them do your rebuild to mutually agreed specs.

If you like the TCI, then prepare for future engine upgrades and go with a StreetFighter series.

Thanks for the advice. I've got a local to do the trans with HD parts and provide the converter. He's going to bump it up to a 3000 stall because of the car's weight saying I wouldn't be happy with a 2000 stall. Paying $500-$600 more than I wanted to, but if it barfs, the whole thing is under his warranty and he's close enough for a free AAA tow. I won't even have to take it out!

Glad I asked. You guys are a big help!

Thanks again!

There is a trans shop somewhere close to you that has a good reputation with local racers. You need to find out who it is and deal with them. That way if there is a problem it will be easy to take care of. Shipping a bad trans back and forth gets very expensive.

There is a trans shop somewhere close to you that has a good reputation with local racers. You need to find out who it is and deal with them. That way if there is a problem it will be easy to take care of. Shipping a bad trans back and forth gets very expensive.

That's exactly what's happening... Even decided to pay a chunk more for the converter from him simply because if I have any problems going forward, his warranty covers everything between the flex plate and the drive shaft. He's a free AAA tow truck ride away from me!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back