Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Our School Project Begins

Alfwulf

Supporting Member
Supporting Member

So our school (Gause Academy of Leadership and Technology)is officially past planning and begining Parts gathering and building.
We have recieved our: Corvair steering gearbox from, Bob Hight. Thanks!
Chrome ProShocks from Cecil Misner. Thanks!
Spirit '27 Track T body, Doug Lake of Red Hotrods. Thanks!

Here is a Picture of the Body, Principal, Doug from RHR, and Myself along with one of my class periods.

Attachments

• WulfsPictures1.jpg
    WulfsPictures1.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 138
Keep the youth involved don't let the tree huggers kill hotrodding.

Thanks guys I am trying to keep Hotrods up. Went to Turkey run this past week, first time and loved it.
There is balance and Thanks for you encouragement Putz.
I love the outdoors as much as anyone. I also love the sound of a good running engine. Heard and saw a P-51 fly by a day or two ago.
First time for that too. What music that was!

Alfwulf

I think your idea on building A car is great. In our little town the shop teacher and 10 to 15 boys build a house ever year,[form & pour concrete,frame up house,roof,plumb,put in electric & etc.]When done goes on the market for sale . Have done this for a few years. They make money on it & it pays for equipment in the school shop & etc. And it gives the students A look how things are done. Good experience .

So our school (Gause Academy of Leadership and Technology)is officially past planning and begining Parts gathering and building.
We have recieved our: Corvair steering gearbox from, Bob Hight. Thanks!
Chrome ProShocks from Cecil Misner. Thanks!
Spirit '27 Track T body, Doug Lake of Red Hotrods. Thanks!

Here is a Picture of the Body, Principal, Doug from RHR, and Myself along with one of my class periods.

Looking great there Lee. We got everything straight and your order will go out next week.

That's a great thing you're doing and I wish you all the best in what looks to be a nice build.

Looking great there Lee. We got everything straight and your order will go out next week.

Ron and the folks here on Tbucketeers we are going to use the big '27 trunk lid as a billboard to acknowledge all that helped.
RPM Will definately be there,

From myself and my students, Thanks for all that you are doing Ron not only for us but the forum as well.
Lee Wulf

Shortly after the body arrived the rest of the parts kept coming in quickly. Cecil Misner (Donated) a pair of Proshock absorbers, Bob Hight sold us the Covair steering gear box. (Discount)

Renee Nichols from Met-Pro (Bartow,FL) took care of our order of steel materials for the frame (Discount)

So far from Steve and Audrey Clunn (www.greenshedconversions.com) Have shipped our powerful electric motor and the controls are in transit. (Discount)

Ron Pope of RPM, www.ezbucket.com (Discounted) a package of front axle, spindles and related components.

The front leaf spring and related parts are in transit from www.speedwaymotors.com and Pitman arm is on order from www.lscovairparts.com

After building our wooden mock up frame (and paying attention to the glitch - GRTS 2009-10 T-Bucket Build ran into, we added 2") we have began cutting and welding the final steel frame together this week before the Holidays.

We hope everyone enjoys a safe and Happy Holiday period.

Thanks and enjoy the pictures.

Lee

Attachments

• Cecil Pic2.jpg
    Cecil Pic2.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 131.jpg
    Picture 131.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Picture 132.jpg
    Picture 132.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 135.jpg
    Picture 135.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Picture 141.jpg
    Picture 141.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Picture 144.jpg
    Picture 144.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Picture 145.jpg
    Picture 145.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 98
  • SteeringGearBox JohnHight.jpg
    SteeringGearBox JohnHight.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 74
Shortly after the body arrived the rest of the parts kept coming in quickly. Cecil Misner (Donated) a pair of Proshock absorbers, Bob Hight sold us the Covair steering gear box. (Discount)

Renee Nichols from Met-Pro (Bartow,FL) took care of our order of steel materials for the frame (Discount)

So far from Steve and Audrey Clunn (www.greenshedconversions.com) Have shipped our powerful electric motor and the controls are in transit. (Discount)

Ron Pope of RPM, www.ezbucket.com (Discounted) a package of front axle, spindles and related components.

The front leaf spring and related parts are in transit from www.speedwaymotors.com and Pitman arm is on order from www.lscovairparts.com

After building our wooden mock up frame (and paying attention to the glitch - GRTS 2009-10 T-Bucket Build ran into, we added 2") we have began cutting and welding the final steel frame together this week before the Holidays.

We hope everyone enjoys a safe and Happy Holiday period.

Thanks and enjoy the pictures.

Lee

Lee Two inches to rails will help but make sure about lenth to kick. 6 inches for 20'' bed. CCR plans are right. if you follow them?
laugh.gif

Lee Two inches to rails will help but make sure about lenth to kick. 6 inches for 20'' bed. CCR plans are right. if you follow them?
laugh.gif

Ken our Kick up is 9" and rear upper rails are 22" since we are doing a '27 Turtle.We are doing 4 links on all 4 corners with Hiems joints Like you we are using an S-10 rear axle. We are also doing the 25" taper on the front rails (Youngster) as well as a pinch so frame matches the Track T nose and hood blends into frame rail from firewall forward.
I just got jumped on ebay, beat by $1.00 on a Trac Lok differential with about 2 seconds remaining while I was watching TV.
Would you know what 1" bore master cylinder is generally used on the brakes? The brake pedal, master cylinder, and lights on all 4 corners and the rear coil-overs are main things we still need to aquire. We have a quote from RPM.

I am a bad multi-tasker (some call it ADD)Someone just offered us headlights while I was writting this response. He is someone who has already donated to our project. lol.

Keep us posted on you progress Ken.

Lee

Ken our Kick up is 9" and rear upper rails are 22" since we are doing a '27 Turtle.We are doing 4 links on all 4 corners with Hiems joints Like you we are using an S-10 rear axle. We are also doing the 25" taper on the front rails (Youngster) as well as a pinch so frame matches the Track T nose and hood blends into frame rail from firewall forward.
I just got jumped on ebay, beat by $1.00 on a Trac Lok differential with about 2 seconds remaining while I was watching TV.
Would you know what 1" bore master cylinder is generally used on the brakes? The brake pedal, master cylinder, and lights on all 4 corners and the rear coil-overs are main things we still need to aquire. We have a quote from RPM.

I am a bad multi-tasker (some call it ADD)Someone just offered us headlights while I was writting this response. He is someone who has already donated to our project. lol.

Keep us posted on you progress Ken.

Lee

We are running out of time to fab, so we are useing ron to speed up timeline.

This is an update I did not see coming. Like most High School Auto Shops We have Work space outdoors under the main roof of the school.(perhaps I should say South of I-10)

I went to the school on Monday to drop off some parts. Could not go inside because of the alarm system, but the outdoor area has no motion sensors. Critters would make it go off.

Well some really Big Sleazy critter unbolted the chainlink fencing and took our brand new upright air compressor!!!! The were nice though, they put the wire nuts back on the wires they disconnected. :scream:

Went back the next day with the Principal to turn off the alarm and slide our brand new tire machine inside the main building.

I am considering putting the copressor inside too.

Lee :thumb:

Thanks Ron,

Parts are here! Everything looks great! The axle is a real peice of work.
I visited Ex-junk and Track T from the forum during the break. They both stated the SB Chevy weigh in at 750lbs. Electric motor weighs 160lbs. but the batteries weigh in at 960lbs which by my math says we are going to around 370 HEAVY.

IF you look at the picture I sent the other 6 battteries will be at the top front of the kick up behind the seat we should be pretty balance. (phone picture)
The car is on a Diet now. Instead of wood for the body well will use the Ureathane Foam Substrate thanks to Jim -Track T (sign supply companies available up to 2" thick) Simular to what Ex-junk did. Going to stick with the wood floor for side impatct strength, (better than nothing).

Because of the weight we will have to wait till the car is done and weigh it be for we buy the coilovers.

Attachments

• DriveTrainLayout.jpg
    DriveTrainLayout.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 86
looking good so far.
I see what you talking about the hood problem,looks do-able though.
keep the updates coming.

Progress has slowed a bit due to fabrication. One of our student parents is cutting out peices at work and they were sent home for a while due to work slow down,(Beats unmployement I guess).

Our brake components have arrived. Great! But for our 4 Link suspension I picked up the 5/8 18 RH taps a NAPA and ordered the LH from (Some where)and they came RH instead of LH. Darn one step forward and one step backward.

What is that called?

I've also attached everybodies favorite, a picture of our component layout.

Attachments

• Component Layout.pdf
    217.5 KB · Views: 30
I have been talking to forum member privately as we has struggle to make progress.
My upper classman have something we call Senioritus - a direvitive of lazyness.

Here are some pics.

We have two hoops for the cowl. One is welded to the frame at the firewall and will slip between the flore and firewall.

The second hoop will bolt to and through the floor to brackets welded to the fram. That one will support the passenger door hinges and windshield post. It will be a part of the floor essentially.

Attachments

• IMG_2675.JPG
    IMG_2675.JPG
    481.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2676.JPG
    IMG_2676.JPG
    559.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2677.JPG
    IMG_2677.JPG
    361.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2678.JPG
    IMG_2678.JPG
    582 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2681.JPG
    IMG_2681.JPG
    560.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2682.JPG
    IMG_2682.JPG
    651.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2684.JPG
    IMG_2684.JPG
    597.7 KB · Views: 45
I have been talking to forum member privately as we has struggle to make progress.

Here are some pics.

We have two hoops for the cowl. One is welded to the frame at the firewall and will slip between the flore and firewall.

The second hoop will bolt to and through the floor to brackets welded to the fram. That one will support the passenger door hinges and windshield post. It will be a part of the floor essentially.

Sorry about the spelling when I was typing I could not actually see what I was typing, and its 90+ degreen in my class room as the AC is broken!

Here are some pics.

On the first pic some of the welds look a little like just surface welds.Might want to check on those just commenting on the safety side.Might want to have welding instructor inspect them.jmo

On the first pic some of the welds look a little like just surface welds.Might want to check on those just commenting on the safety side.Might want to have welding instructor inspect them.jmo

This is one of the coolest things Ive seen in Hot Roddin for years. Just wish I could help out.
Gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back