Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Plan Dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muddi1

Hi Guys,

I am wondering about the difference in plan dimensions. I have both the EBook and Youngsters Frame plans. On some of the brackets when put to 100% for printing they look abnormally large.

Most of the templstes are stated at full size so I am wondering if they are suppose to look this way or do I need to resize them for my printer?

Thank you

The templates in my plans are drawn to full size however you need to have your version of Adoby set so they print out to full size. All the patterns are dimentioned so you can layout the plates by hand.

Ron

Thank you Youngster, I feel kind of odd saying that since you have many more years and much more experience with all of this than I do lol. I figured out that my printer resets its original values each time I print a different template, its a goofy process to get the thing to work properly. I would rather be turning wrenches than messing with a printer...:eek:hthedrama:

Hi Muddi1,
I can tell you from experience that Youngster's dimensions are right-on once you do get your printer "happy".
They are great templates. It was fantastic having a place to start, having had no experience with Ts.
Same with the ones I've used from Chester's book so far.
I finally have the winter use of a building to continue working on mine. :hyper: So... I might make some progress now.

Well I have to use my wifes comp/printer as I use a laptop, I have to reset the values each time, no biggie. We are currently not on speaking terms so luckily I was able to get soem templates done.

Now if only I could find some scissors that I know I had.....

Hey: My printer was doing that too and I couldn't figure out why everything was off.

OK, a few more questions.

The brackets in Youngsters plans call for either 1/4 or 3/16 inch steel plate, I have a good amount of 3/8, is this overkill? I understand there will be a small amount of added weight and that some minor measurement changes may be needed such as in where the rear coil over and bat wing mounts will be located but I am thinking these small amounts of relocation will not be of any significance.

My second question is where my front bat wings will be welded to the bolt on mounting plate the amount of material will go from 1" tapered rear to front over a distance of 3 1/2". They are constructed out of 3/8" material. I am wondering if this will be adequate or should I remake them with more material in that area? The reason I ask is the rear bat wing is only 1/2 inch at its narrowest point. This is at the center line where it is welded to the rear axles.
I only have one that is near mid-completion so if I have to remake them it wont be a material or time issue.

I am trying to get Photo Shop downloaded and activated so I can put pictures up with the area's in question.

Thank you all. :smile:

Mike

OK, a few more questions.

The brackets in Youngsters plans call for either 1/4 or 3/16 inch steel plate, I have a good amount of 3/8, is this overkill? I understand there will be a small amount of added weight and that some minor measurement changes may be needed such as in where the rear coil over and bat wing mounts will be located but I am thinking these small amounts of relocation will not be of any significance.

My second question is where my front bat wings will be welded to the bolt on mounting plate the amount of material will go from 1" tapered rear to front over a distance of 3 1/2". They are constructed out of 3/8" material. I am wondering if this will be adequate or should I remake them with more material in that area? The reason I ask is the rear bat wing is only 1/2 inch at its narrowest point. This is at the center line where it is welded to the rear axles.
I only have one that is near mid-completion so if I have to remake them it wont be a material or time issue.

I am trying to get Photo Shop downloaded and activated so I can put pictures up with the area's in question.

Thank you all. :smile:

Mike

Every bracket I made is 3/8!

Mike, The only bracket that would be difficult to make out of 3/8" would be the frame hairpin mount. Here's a quick sketch of something that could be done with eithet 3/8" or 1/4";

hairpinmountsSmall.jpg

Ron

Here's a pic of that mount with a removable cover that will be plated;

jakes27005Small.jpg

To answer your question about your bat wings, A good rule of thumb is to leave enought material for the leg of your weld plus that much again. In other words, if your weld has a 1/4" leg, leave 1/2" thicness at that end. If you are not satisfied with the "look" after its welded, you can always reduce it with a grinder when you do your clean-up.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back