Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Powder coating

Gerry

Morning guys.
This morning I went to the powder company, that I have been talking to. At LAST a guy who you can talk to, who knows cars and wants to give you the best job available. I took the tank and after 20 minuets of talking and feeling the surface of the tank, he said no problem. Need to do this and that and then bring it back for a coat so you can see if its OK for you. Luckily it is a sunny day and the trial piece he did in brass looked better than the real thing. Its amazing after all the crap we have to put up with from day to day dealing with businesses to find one that actually want to help its customer and is not afraid to spend time with them.. THANK you Darren.

So I have found a finish that is beyond my expectations and with some more work on the tank I am confident that it will look absolutely incredible. Whats even better is that, now I ve seen it in the flesh, so to speak, I will have the screen frame and screen bracket done as well.

I am very impressed with Darren and his background in bodywork. What more can you ask for..

For any UK guys looking for powder coating heres a link
http://www.banburypowdercoating.co.uk/

Gerry

Morning guys.
This morning I went to the powder company, that I have been talking to. At LAST a guy who you can talk to, who knows cars and wants to give you the best job available. I took the tank and after 20 minuets of talking and feeling the surface of the tank, he said no problem. Need to do this and that and then bring it back for a coat so you can see if its OK for you. Luckily it is a sunny day and the trial piece he did in brass looked better than the real thing. Its amazing after all the crap we have to put up with from day to day dealing with businesses to find one that actually want to help its customer and is not afraid to spend time with them.. THANK you Darren.

So I have found a finish that is beyond my expectations and with some more work on the tank I am confident that it will look absolutely incredible. Whats even better is that, now I ve seen it in the flesh, so to speak, I will have the screen frame and screen bracket done as well.

I am very impressed with Darren and his background in bodywork. What more can you ask for..

For any UK guys looking for powder coating heres a link
http://www.banburypowdercoating.co.uk/

Gerry

Gerry: I'm glad this is working out for you. Obvoously I am biased, but a well done powdercoat job will keep that tank looking good for a long time. And if you ever decide to re-theme the T, you can blast if off and recoat. There are a lot of good powder coaters here in the US and abroad. You need to do a little work like Gerry did to find the ones that are experienced in the custom realm and don't shy away from projects like this. I can't wait to see the final result!!

Ben
Thanks to you I could ask the questions I needed to. He also said the powder was USA produced.
Thanks again for the heads up
Gerry

Looks like perfection has been found yet again on this project.

T, you can blast if off and recoat. o see the final result!!
[/quote]

Hi Ben, Actually, automotive paint stripper can be used and will strip the paint in seconds. On traditional finishes, lacquers and polyurethanes, automotive paint stripper takes hours and may require several different applications. Just thought you might be interested. No sandblasting needed on powder coating.

[/quote]

Hi Ben, Actually, automotive paint stripper can be used and will strip the paint in seconds. On traditional finishes, lacquers and polyurethanes, automotive paint stripper takes hours and may require several different applications. Just thought you might be interested. No sandblasting needed on powder coating.
[/quote]

Yep, you can use stripper but as for seconds, I'm not so sure about that. We've used stripper in some cases where previously powdercoated parts were delicate, but it takes more than a few seconds...pretty much on par with my experience stripping automotive paint. Now if you're talking 40 yr old lacquer, that's another story. But just like good 'ole automotive paint, stripper success will vary depending on the type of coating. Are you talking about urethanes, polyester, hybrids, epoxies, or fluorpolymers? They all will react different to strippers just like solvent based paint. We coat a lot of parts for top NHRA teams and use a special hybrid powdercoat that is chemical resistant to brake cleaner, gasoline, nitromethane, etc. It doesn't strip off so well no matter what you use. Regardless, unless you have a dipping tank, stripping with chemical strippers is a mess. We typically bake off any previously powder coated part at a temp that will soften the powdercoat (or burn off regular paint) and blast with aluminum oxide media. I can guarantee this, I can blast off any solvent based paint in a fraction of the time that we can blast of a powdercoated piece. And we're not talking about using mickey mouse type media blasters either.

Not saying one process is better then the other, as they both have their place. In fact, we do just as much if not more wet spray work from regular automotive type paint processes, to ceramics, high temp coatings, Kephos, etc. as we do powdercoating. Enough to keep 5 guys a day blasting and spraying.
Anyhow, before you would recoat any piece, you would need to reblast it for proper adhesion anyway, so my original statement is still correct. :beeer:

Ben
Darren did actually say that if it didnt look good enough he would dump it in the chemical stripper overnight and start again. So I guess its a case of a few hours in a stripper. He also told me some home truths about the chrome finish.
Gerry

Hey Ted.
Got that covered. Everything will be sealed off. I thought about this for the grit blasting to keep that nasty stuff out of the tank. Once its all done and dusted it will be internally washed and prepped for the sealer.
Gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back