Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

powder coating

What kind of prep work is needed for powerder coating. Will it work on primer or bondo, or does it have to be bare metal?
Tex-T

it only works on bare metal. because the piece has to be preheated for the power to stick, putty will lift. some say the metal fillers will work but my guy says it will lift too.

Ron

TEX-T said:
What kind of prep work is needed for powerder coating. Will it work on primer or bondo, or does it have to be bare metal?
Tex-T

I took my chassis to a great place near where I work. They sand blast before they coat and heat. No need for prep. Oh, by the way, it looks kick a** and will even handle when a hammer or wrench misses it's mark. :eek: As far as I know, it won't work on bondo.

There are some fillers you can use in limited amounts. Chem-metal is one of them. Its not cheap, but it works well. We've used it with sucess on bike tanks and fenders for some of our customers. It is a high temperature filler meant to fill small voids and such, not for sculpting. While we get it through our suppliers, you can by it at Eastwood.

As for the Black Chrome...it is awesome. It is really a translucent black powder meant to go over chrome, polished alum, or chrome powder. We did a sample tube that I can take a pic of on monday and post. We have not done a chassis in it yet, but we did jsut finish a Jr Dragster in a Candy Blue Translucent over chrome powder that was pretty awesome...The next T we build will have a Candy Purple Translucent powdered frame...

www.prokoteindy.com

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back