Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Powerglide for a bucket

PotvinGuy

Staff member
I'm running a TH400 now, but will be raising the motor (blown mild SBC, maybe 400 HP) to get more pan clearance, and was thinking of swapping in a Powerglide to minimize size and weight. Any experiences, recommendations, etc? Any trannys smaller than a 'glide?

I'm running a TH400 now, but will be raising the motor (blown mild SBC, maybe 400 HP) to get more pan clearance, and was thinking of swapping in a Powerglide to minimize size and weight. Any experiences, recommendations, etc? Any trannys smaller than a 'glide?

As far as GM goes, the Powerglide and T350 are the smallest (about the same size) unless you want to go to a stick.

As far as GM goes, the Powerglide and T350 are the smallest (about the same size) unless you want to go to a stick.

Dont forget there is a thing called a ShortGlide.
Its got a short output shaft and no tailhousing to speak of, just a plate. I seroiusly looked at one of these for my T. 2 speeds is all you really need with a torquee motor. Also there are a number of different ratios that can be put into a glide. Look at companies that offer these for drag racing. I belive you can get a version that will handle up to 3000 BHP so that should do it.LOL
Gerry

Dont forget there is a thing called a ShortGlide.
Its got a short output shaft and no tailhousing to speak of, just a plate. I seroiusly looked at one of these for my T. 2 speeds is all you really need with a torquee motor. Also there are a number of different ratios that can be put into a glide. Look at companies that offer these for drag racing. I belive you can get a version that will handle up to 3000 BHP so that should do it.LOL
Gerry

The Powerglide will work GREAT in a bucket....we used to use them in the econo-altered's, and essentially in a light car....acceleration is actually faster by bypassing that 2nd gear and letting the motor wind on out. A turbo 350 and 400 is for vehicles with a little weight, as light as a bucket is....now, thats just me....depends on what you want.

Now, if I were to put a SBC in mine....I'd run a powerglide with a little bit of a torque converter and manual valvebody.... :jawdrop:

Now, wanna get super funky, shove a 2 speed Lenco behind that Blown BadBoy you got and Scotland Yard would have their hands full try to catch ya!!!! Ha! :run:

The Powerglide will work GREAT in a bucket....we used to use them in the econo-altered's, and essentially in a light car....acceleration is actually faster by bypassing that 2nd gear and letting the motor wind on out. A turbo 350 and 400 is for vehicles with a little weight, as light as a bucket is....now, thats just me....depends on what you want.

Now, if I were to put a SBC in mine....I'd run a powerglide with a little bit of a torque converter and manual valvebody.... :jawdrop:

Thats exactly whats in my Topolino. cept is a 351 Cleveland (merlot is kikkin in so not sure I spelt that right and cant be bothered to look it up)
Fun it is.
Just love G force
2G..... Gerry

YEEEEAAAAAAAAA BABY! Love the smell of slicks meltin comin off the line, the sound of a motor running just below redline pulling hard, a short wheelbase car going like a bullet with the driver fighting to keep her between the guardrails. Now thats my Idea of fun.

I don't usually smile unless the driver I'm working with a fume mask on! Ha! When he gives me the thumbs up, I pat the blower, then I smile, turn my back and walk away.... :wacky:....
Yea....lets light this Roman Candle....it is now PUCKER TIME!!!

YEEEEAAAAAAAAA BABY! Love the smell of slicks meltin comin off the line, the sound of a motor running just below redline pulling hard, a short wheelbase car going like a bullet with the driver fighting to keep her between the guardrails. Now thats my Idea of fun.

I don't usually smile unless the driver I'm working with a fume mask on! Ha! When he gives me the thumbs up, I pat the blower, then I smile, burn my back and walk away.... :wacky:

That seals it. We should have been brothers.
cant say anymore you have said it all in one line.....
I am not worthy.. but anit Altered s GREAT
Gerry

You not worthy? yea, right....I hear ya!!!! Ha! If I were over in England....I'd build ya a motor that'd make ya soil your fresh laundry!

The big inch nitro altereds....its better than sex!

You not worthy? yea, right....I hear ya!!!! Ha! If I were over in England....I'd build ya a motor that'd make ya soil your fresh laundry!

The big inch nitro altereds....its better than sex!

whats fresh laundy?

G

Boxers, underwear, skievies, bloomers....ya know.... goes on the bum! HaHaHa!!!

Yea Gerry, if I'd had a brother like you, we would've been wanted for street racing. Would've had our mugs posted in every post office in the UK. Then we would've hit the strip....oh man, we would've gotten along famously! Been in more trouble than a cat in a room full of rockin' chairs!!!!
Yea, we would've been doing it like Mike....turn her till she blows up, the just back off just a hair. heehee.... I've already blown more oilpans off than most folks have folks in their families! Ha! :whisper: :jawdrop:

Outstanding! A 'glide it is, and maybe the Shorty, I need all the space I can get. Thanks to all for the help.

Yea Gerry, if I'd had a brother like you, we would've been wanted for street racing. Would've had our mugs posted in every post office in the UK. Then we would've hit the strip....oh man, we would've gotten along famously! Been in more trouble than a cat in a room full of rockin' chairs!!!!
Yea, we would've been doing it like Mike....turn her till she blows up, the just back off just a hair. heehee.... I've already blown more oilpans off than most folks have folks in their families! Ha! :whisper: :jawdrop:

Now this is not a Nitro burnin SOB but its my little play thing.
[media]
Theres another of it vid if you click and go to UTube
Its before the glide and trans brake went in and the Nos is turned off. When this was taken it was running a FMX which took all day to get warm enough to perform. You can see the times decrease as the day went on.
Runnin a little 351 Cleveland, but built really well, its is an adrenalin rush.Runs sub 10s with the new trans and NOs. Other guys in my class used to wait at the end of the strip just to hear it comin. I know this is really bad but I kept my cigs and a lighter in the fire suit pocket so I could calm myself down in the shut down area... he he
I love it to death.

Cool vid. thanks for posting. Always loved the Fiat body. My only drag racing experience was with a big block chevy short wheelbase altered. When leaving on the trans brake it was always a guess which way it would shoot first. Like the Ford cleaveland power. There are plenty of chevy boys around already.

Cool vid. thanks for posting. Always loved the Fiat body. My only drag racing experience was with a big block chevy short wheelbase altered. When leaving on the trans brake it was always a guess which way it would shoot first. Like the Ford cleaveland power. There are plenty of chevy boys around already.

The guessing is always the best part. Aint It
I always spell cleaveland wrong
G

Now this is not a Nitro burnin SOB but its my little play thing.
[media]
Theres another of it vid if you click and go to UTube
Its before the glide and trans brake went in and the Nos is turned off. When this was taken it was running a FMX which took all day to get warm enough to perform. You can see the times decrease as the day went on.
Runnin a little 351 Cleveland, but built really well, its is an adrenalin rush.Runs sub 10s with the new trans and NOs. Other guys in my class used to wait at the end of the strip just to hear it comin. I know this is really bad but I kept my cigs and a lighter in the fire suit pocket so I could calm myself down in the shut down area... he he
I love it to death.

Quick little car there Gerry! we need to get it down into the 8's! Ha! Looking good. Hows the Racing scene over there?...the sidelines looked kinda thin.
Anyway, car looks fantastic...you could easily get her into the 9's....then you'd have to smoke 2 or 3 down at the end of the track! Ha! Great Work!!! :wacky:

My bad, I spelled it wrong Gerry. You are correct. That's what I get hitting the send without looking at a post for a minute or two.

Gerry, what you got in the motor in the Topolino? What converter? What gears? I love those little car! :hyper:

My bad, I spelled it wrong Gerry. You are correct. That's what I get hitting the send without looking at a post for a minute or two.

The Topo ran respectable 8s when it had an alcohol motor in it way back when. Now things are different and the poeple who 'Know' want ultrasonics on the frame rails etc etc. Cant just run for fun anymore.
Spelin is not my thing I am dyslexic, or something like that. Would nt know if I got it right or not..
G

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back